maybe time to go fishing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...or shut down fish farms.

+1

Farming an invasive species is really stupid. Of course there will be mishaps, likely more often than solar eclipse the operators say was part of the problem(duh!).

Follow the money to resolve the approval/permitting misdeeds, shut the farms or change them to species that are native.

Didn't killer bees originate from cross breeding 2 species of honey bees that don't normally co exist ??? This could be a huge environmental disaster

Wifey B: Had to know it was coming, to hear things blamed on the eclipse. :rolleyes:

Mommy: Who broke this?
Kids all at once: Not me, it was the eclipse.

Farmer says short of eggs this week due to the eclipse confusing the chicken.

Person explains late payment, that it was due to the eclipse.

Dog bite, dog was scared by the eclipse and hasn't been right since.

I went fishing this morning but no Salmon. Nikki wanted to go. She's a fanatic. Her first time fishing 3 years ago she caught a 300 lb Marlin and she was hooked. We just fished around the park and marina area for bluegill. She caught 7, I caught 3, Hubby caught 4 and Melissa just watched. :)

I didn't know there was an ethnic war between Salmon and Atlantic ones would eat Pacific ones. Bad bad bad. :mad:

I didn't know there was an ethnic war between Salmon and Atlantic ones would eat Pacific ones. Bad bad bad. :mad:

Bad form to make trivial that which is so important to so many on the west coast.

Bad form to make trivial that which is so important to so many on the west coast.

Wifey B: Didn't mean to do that. I'm not thinking of it that way. I really just didn't know that it happened. I know it's important to fishermen on the west coast. It still startles me. Why are they raising Atlantic Salmon on the west coast? We went to some of the fisheries and this aspect was definitely not included in the tours. Are Atlantic Salmon just a pond raised fish or are they fished for on the East Coast? Now, I have no idea what Salmon I've been eating. I just did some reading and still confused. When we talk Pacific Salmon, what breed are we talking about? I see a lot that are shown in the North Pacific.

Help.

And again I didn't mean to make it trivial. I definitely feel it's a bad situation. Seems from what I've read to be bad for the Atlantic Salmon that escaped as well. :ermm:

I will add that I don't think the OP was trivializing it either.

Last edited:
...or shut down fish farms.

Wifey B: Could the demand for fish be satisfied without fish farms? Doesn't seem like it could be today, but maybe had they never existed. I know in the south the demand for Catfish couldn't be met without ponds. In fact, I was shocked to learn what a huge part of farming in Mississippi and Arkansas catfish are. :confused:

Thanks for clearing that up...my thoughts went immediately to those who would be horrified by the release of so many Atlantic salmon in west coast waters who might find jokes about as funny as hurricane jokes in Texas about right now.

I don't follow the issue very closely but believe the main concern is things like competition for shrinking habit, logging siltation, river temperatures rising, and over fishing in international waters are already making things tough enough, with the potential impacts from ocean acidification looming on the horizon. Disease from farms is also reportedly spread to wild stocks.

There isn't much farmed salmon eaten in BC that I know of...who wants to eat aqua-sheep that have to be fed special dyes to colour the meat red instead of the pasty grey flesh farmed salmon actually has?

Last edited:
The reason Atlantic and not Pacific salmon are pen raised is in the crowded pens Pacific salmon loose there scales and are subject to disease. Environmentally the main concerns with fish farms is that the pens are in the top half of the water table. When the resident salmon smolt are migrating out to the ocean they are attracted to feed that is lost through the pen. Both Atlantic and Pacific salmon are subject to sea lice, adult salmon can tolerate this parasite but the salmon smolt can't. Sea lice propagate through an action called a bloom kinda of like a cloud of lice. The resident salmon smolt that are under the pen feeding on the food from the pen also are subject to the blooms of sea lice from the fish in the pen.
When farms first appeared in the Broughtons within 6 years the native salmon runs were reduced to just about non existent... The Farms have been relocated out of the migration path and the resident salmon runs are slowly coming back.

Ka sea ta,
While I was in the Boeing fishing club we ran a rearing fish net at Everett Marina for many years, we raised King's from 2" until they were about 6". We kept them for 8 to 12 weeks then released them. For the 12 years that I was a part of this program we only lost about 50 fish a year, we started with 25,000 from the Walker River hatchery.
If the pens are large enough and not to over crowded you can raise Pacific Salmon in pens.

Ka sea ta,
While I was in the Boeing fishing club we ran a rearing fish net at Everett Marina for many years, we raised King's from 2" until they were about 6". We kept them for 8 to 12 weeks then released them. For the 12 years that I was a part of this program we only lost about 50 fish a year, we started with 25,000 from the Walker River hatchery.
If the pens are large enough and not to over crowded you can raise Pacific Salmon in pens.

That's a great program where natural eel grass beds don't exist anymore for juvenile salmon to hide out before going to sea, but commercial fish farms raise them to adulthood...apparently a different game altogether.

Last edited:
Ka sea ta,

thats normal the state raises salmon for delayed release. in delayed release fish tend to stay in local waters. I have never seen or heard of adult pacific salmon raised to adulthood in pens where the population is as dense as it in commercial farms.

but commercial fish farms raise them to adulthood...apparently a different game altogether.

Wifey B: I also read that these farm raised adult fish that have never been anywhere else are totally unprepared for release and very much struggle to survive and take care of themselves in natural environments. I don't know but it makes sense that there's some instinct but some of it is obliterated or not developed by environment. :ermm:

I am surprised the Fish Farmers couldn't read a tide table and felt they had to blame the eclipse.
Sure the eclipse is the result of the sun and the moon lining up, and tides are the result of, wait for it..... the sun's gravitational pull and the moon's gravitational pull, and during the period of every new moon, they actually pull together!
Surely over the 30 yr history of that fish farm there must have been a few lunar cycles in which they had tides equal to those last weekend.

I am surprised the Fish Farmers couldn't read a tide table and felt they had to blame the eclipse.

...surely over the 30 yr history of that fish farm there must have been a few lunar cycles in which they had tides equal to those last weekend.

....like several times this year already?

There was a similar, large scale escape in Puget Sound 25 years ago or so. I remember a wave of fish hitting our gillnet test fishery at the entrance to Canadian Juan de Fuca. We caught over 350/net one night. By contrast we did not observe any being caught in our Fraser River gillnet fisheries later in the year. They will not interbreed with native salmon species, which are of a different genera. However, escapees interbreeding with local stocks in Norwegian and other European streams have been a big concern over the years. They are possible carriers of disease and parasites.

Jim

That looks like spam to me.

Back
Top Bottom