My new boat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Slow Lane
Vessel Make
2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
I finally brought my new boat home (Boston) and she's running great!....But it was a long ordeal. I bought her in early August and then started having the marina where I bought her do some much needed work.

The boat's a 2000 Camano 31. I had the fuel tanks polished because they noticed some gunk in the primary filters. So we actually drained the tanks (twin tanks) and then refilled with fresh fuel. Then they kept running the boat and doing some short trips to slosh the fuel around. They then changed the filters again and the secondary engine filter too.

Next we did a coolant flush and new coolant service. They also added a new overflow reservoir, the old one was original and totally crudded up. The coolant was dirty as hell too, I'm glad I changed that.

Then I changed the ENTIRE raw water pump. There was a drip of water coming from the flange, seals? So I was told that just changing the impeller wouldn't do any good. The leak was still there. So I bought the entire pump kit. Not cheap..

Then they did all the other fluids and filters. 3 new batteries, total compound and wax job, new bottom paint, zincs EVERYWHERE, yada, yada, yada.....Too many things to list. But a good portion of these items were found during the survey and I worked my cost into my offer. That helped a lot.

Long story short, the boat is great! She runs strong, cool operating temps and the Volvo is purring. I ran her via water myself from Westport, Ma to Onset, Ma (about 25 nm) Then from Onset to Boston yesterday (about 50 nm). Nice trips! Spent a lot of time on the flybridge. No issues to speak of. Now it's time to really spend some time on her, learn the handling (especially around the dock and using bow thrusters) and wrap up the season on a high note. I love September and October on the water, probably my favorite time actually. Nice and peaceful out there.....

Very nice! You're going to have some fun with that one.

I adore the Camano vessels. Salty, classic lines and exceptional fit and finish. :smitten:I think the Camano 31 exemplifies the best in the type of thoughtful trawler design that inspires owners to get out and cruise. If we did not have a somewhat low bridge and some shoaling issues in the channels leading to our land home & dock, we would have purchased the same boat last year.

Heartfelt congratulations on your purchase, AND on your conscientious engine refit. Not enough can be said about the pleasure of having confidence in your power train. May you have many years of happy cruises ahead.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

That boat is going to create a LOT of memories and fun for all who step aboard.

Nice job in finding her and getting her to her home port.

We have had ours since 2008 and we love it. Our marina is just a few miles from home so we'll often spend the weekend on it just socializing. This is also a good way to figure out what you need to have on board like cookware, medicine and personal items.

One thing I have learned is, don't make major changes or modifications until you've lived with the boat for a while. Often you'll change your mind.

We have put about 15K hours on our Camano cruising up and down the US east coast.

Very nice boat, glad you like it...

Greetings,
Mr. SoH. I second/third/fourth the congratulations and also concur with Mr. WK's recommendation (post #9) of NOT making any changes for the first while (1st year maybe for major changes).

We have put about 15K hours on our Camano cruising up and down the US east coast.

A lot of hours. Over how many years? We cruise 15k-18k nm per year but that's only 800-1000 hours.

A lot of hours. Over how many years? We cruise 15k-18k nm per year but that's only 800-1000 hours.

9 1/2 or so but it took me a few years to get my wife to go for more than a few days at a time.

The PO (an older couple) put 2800 hours on it in 8 years, we put the rest on. We've been from SC to FL three times and to the Chesapeake bay twice. The plan is NY and then the Erie Canal next spring. Of course, plans have a way of changing so who knows.

When I say "hours", that's at 7 knots so that's probably fewer miles per hour than you.

I should correct the post above but I can't edit it. It should have been 1500 hours. Sorry for the mistype.

Really clean nice looking boat!! Congratulations!

Nice Camano and Video

I don't expext to get out of the Chesapeake for a year or so but maybe we will cross paths. I think the East Coast Owners Club is planning on a chesapeake meet next year. I haven't been out running yet but the head project should be wrapped up in the next few days and that should be it for projects for a while.

Spending my third night in a row aboard tonight and 12th overall since mid-July. Looking forward to some run time starting in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom