ALFTON: Winner of the best avatar photo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
I love everyone's avatars here....beautiful boats, meaningful pictures, fun to look at.

However, I must confess, I believe member "Alfton" wins for the best avatar photo currently. *Who can resist the whimsical yet salty lines of the Pilgrim trawler set to a backdrop of even more whimsical hot air balloons?!!! *It has got to be one of the best trawler photos EVER in my book. *Maybe it's because I like whimsical things or the idea of floating in the sky teathered to giant ballon, maybe, it's the beautiful boat, or really...all the above. *

Either way, I must confess, every time I see that scene it is hard not to smile. *Alfton, if you are so inclined to share it, I'd love it if you could post a full size/good resolution copy so I can save it! *
smile.gif

Woodsong wrote:
I love everyone's avatars here....beautiful boats, meaningful pictures, fun to look at.

However, I must confess, I believe member "Alfton" wins for the best avatar photo currently. *Who can resist the whimsical yet salty lines of the Pilgrim trawler set to a backdrop of even more whimsical hot air balloons?!!! *It has got to be one of the best trawler photos EVER in my book. *Maybe it's because I like whimsical things or the idea of floating in the sky teathered to giant ballon, maybe, it's the beautiful boat, or really...all the above. *

Either way, I must confess, every time I see that scene it is hard not to smile. *Alfton, if you are so inclined to share it, I'd love it if you could post a full size/good resolution copy so I can save it! *
smile.gif
*Tony, if I had known it was a contest, I would have photo shopped my avatar.
biggrin.gif

Congratulations, John.

Don, you need to keep those view-destroying pilings from blocking a clear view of your handsome boat.

markpierce wrote:
Congratulations, John.

Don, you need to keep those view-destroying pilings from blocking a clear view of your handsome boat.
*Screw it!* I give up.* I've never won anything.

Ah, congratulatins, John.* You won fair and square.

What does he win, a free year's subscription to Trawler Forum?

Old Stone wrote:

Hey - What are you doing with the chair during the hurricane. Better not let it get hurt, Buddy!
*Just waiting for the storm to carry me away.* Life is over I can't win.

Wow,
I am honored.* I am just a newbie to the forum
The avatar photo was not the result of photoshop.* It is a result of being in the right place at the right time.* I was on the maiden voyage since the boat came out of the shipyard after a 3 month yard period.* The paint was real fresh.* I was cruising down Clear Lake headed to Galveston Bay on the way to Double Bayou for Halloween weekend.* Lots of boats were anchored in Clear Lake watching the balloons during Balunar Fest I just so happened to pass a friend with a camera pointed in my direction.* Multiple pictures were taken, but this was the primo photo.*** I have other photos

Attachments

• pa185914.jpg
    pa185914.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 75
  • p1010004.jpg
    p1010004.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 77
  • img_4176.jpg
    img_4176.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 79
John, your trawer-with-eyes photo reminds me of Steamboat Willy and Alaska Queen:

img_58670_0_a4a1d38a0f1ecce3a06bd5b2e69f0246.jpg

Tony: *Thanks for bringing this spectacular Avatar to my attention (which has been greatly distracted by Irene these last days). *The boat is equally awesome, and one that I envy for sure, and I'm glad that it is one that is not in imminent danger (for the time being). *I needed desperately to do something mindless today, so instead of photoshopping a competitive avatar, I humbly conceded to the winner, and offer you this instead. *Sincere congrats to John and his awesome Pilgrim 40 for winning the prestigious Woodsong Memorial Avatar Trophy for 2011.

img_58681_0_78ef18d47ca68c7c6e393b5796ea84f3.jpg

************************** /\

*********************** /***I* \

*********************/******I***** \

****************************I

*************************** I

*********** That's priceless!!!

John, I think you should use that first pic as your new avatar so the rest of us have a fighting chance at the prize next year.

(What a metamorphise!!)

-- Edited by FlyWright on Friday 26th of August 2011 04:16:41 PM

Lawrence, that's great!

hahaha!! That trophy is ALL kinds of awesome!! Alfton, Lawrence reminded me with his photo that he is on the review committee. He has the original trophy that is in his picture- he will be mailing it to you soon. :)

Just to clarify- the "contest" was not official to TF obviously....just me in love with those cool balloons behind that pretty pilgrim 40! I will need to hire a bunch of balloonists to come pose behind my next photo shoot of Living Light! ;)

The trophy cracked me up though!

Don- had that lazy boy been new and real leather you could have been in the running for winning the avatar contest but, well, velour, even if beachside, didn't have the strength to win the contest against the balloons.

Woodsong wrote:
hahaha!! That trophy is ALL kinds of awesome!! Alfton, Lawrence reminded me with his photo that he is on the review committee. He has the original trophy that is in his picture- he will be mailing it to you soon. :)
*Last time I heard of the whereabouts of this impressive Trophy, it was in the possession of last year's prestigious recipient.
wink.gif

Woodsong wrote:

Don- had that lazy boy been new and real leather you could have been in the running for winning the avatar contest but, well, velour, even if beachside, didn't have the strength to win the contest against the balloons.
*Tony, you will just have to live with my blood on your hands!* Well, Jennifer thinks it's classy.* That's something to hold on to.

Wow Lawrence, What a work of art.* I had to laugh out loud when I saw the trophy.* Thanks so much for your work and the recognition.*

Alfton,
Upon seeing your Pilgrim with her eyes open, I realized she must have a young son that she gave birth to!

Attachments

• img_4176.jpg
    img_4176.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 73
  • screen shot 2011-08-25 at 12.55.12 am.png
    screen shot 2011-08-25 at 12.55.12 am.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 67
Tony, I am in the process of picking new fabric for my recliner.* I will post several swaths shortly to see what everyone thinks.* By doing this scientifically, I should be assured of next years avatar trophy.

Don,
Be careful not to break any fair trade or vote fixing rules in your process. The good news is that the next winner will also have the option of BUYING his vote. I will begin accepting gifts, bribes, and cash incentives...well, pretty much right now. :cowboy:

Woodsong wrote:
Don,
Be careful not to break any fair trade or vote fixing rules in your process. The good news is that the next winner will also have the option of BUYING his vote. I will begin accepting gifts, bribes, and cash incentives...well, pretty much right now. :cowboy:
*Rum is on the way, but keep it under your hat!

Back
Top Bottom