View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Edelweiss
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Best way to anchor for a hurricane?

I'm no fan of using dual anchors, nor do I endorse doing so other than as a last resort. *I also wouldn't do so unless you have at least two or three able bodied crew on board. There's too much chance for things to go wrong.

That said on two occasions, using Danforths, we had success. *In both cases we were in high wind conditions and a very soft bottoms. We tried three times to set and hold the primary anchor, all chain,only to very slowly plow the bottom of the bay, along with the other 6 boats anchored there. *

Final attempt, we launched the skiff with the second Danforth (15' chain and the rest rope) ran the boat up and set the primary anchor at the top of the bay (so no one else could anchor up wind and drag into us. *Once the primary was down, the skiff dropped the secondary anchor Bahamian moor style. Within a few minutes both anchors were set, sharing the load and holding.

Yes, we stood anchor watches all night, Didn't get much sleep, but we didn't drag anymore. The next morning there was one other boat left in the bay. *In retrospect, I would put a release line and buoy on both anchors so you can see where they are in respect to each other.

But do what you have to do!!

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Friday 26th of August 2011 05:26:32 PM
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote