Advice for new boat 40-45'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legacy1977

Hi all,

I currently have a 2001 legacy 34 with cummins 370s and admiral and kids are looking for more space. Probably in the 40'-45' range. I am really into the quality level of what I have now but probably have to start making choices - newer lesser quality (swift trawler, etc.) vs. older higher quality (2004+ sabre, legacy east bay, etc.). I am sure that there are others that I am not familiar with too. Willing to spend what I think is worth - up to 600ishk +/- but would rather spend less

Also would be curious on the quality vs age question....

What I need
- something that has somewhat of a look that is classic or downeast
- 2nd stateroom for 2 growing kids (10/5 today)
- flybridge
- stall shower
- cruising speed of at least 20 knots
- draft under 3'10" as my marina is very shallow, but mud

Nice to have
- 2nd head
- cushions in back

Many thanks for any thoughts or wisdom!

Jay

Dang for that money I would look at a new North Pacific 45. Not sure what they are these days, but there is one TF participant that has one being built now.

Dang for that money I would look at a new North Pacific 45. Not sure what they are these days, but there is one TF participant that has one being built now.

Thanks for the idea - checked it out and unfortunately it misses on speed and draft.

Welcome Legacy.

I would shop around yacthworld. For that kind of $ I am sure you will find something on the high end and get a great deal as well.

Good luck Mate.

Cheers.

H.

Might consider a few of the Power Catamarans on Yachtworld. They would meet most of your requirements (speed, draft, room for kids, etc.). There's a Maine Cat shown in your price range.

Ocean Alexander made some modern era "shippy/trawler" looking boats in the mid-2000's that could make decent speeds. The American and Nordic tugs also come to mind. Not sure they quite meet the draft requirements, but suspect they come close.

Ocean Alexander made some modern era "shippy/trawler" looking boats in the mid-2000's that could make decent speeds. The American and Nordic tugs also come to mind. Not sure they quite meet the draft requirements, but suspect they come close.

Our American Tug draws 3 1/2' and it will top out at about 20 knots but it certainly won't cruise there.
Have fun shopping!
Bruce

The 43' American Tug won't meet your draft requirement as it is 4' 10".

It's not very classic looking but for a narrower "Cat that doesn't look like a Cat", you might consider an Aspen.

Or something kind of off the wall: check out an Elling E4. a gently used one can certainly be had in your price range and meets many of your desires.

Legacy

I may be selling a 2015 GB Europa 43'. However it draws 4' and will cruise just under 20 knt. This is the best outfitted 43 GB even with a hard top (only one they built. I am being shown another larger GB next week and may pull the trigger if the price is right. I haven't listed the boat with broker yet.

Quite a few TF members gave seen and been on the boat. It is located in Miami. You can PM me if interested. Bottom was just painted as I didn't know this other boat was going to come to market.

Thinking the same thing, but I dont think Back Cove has a flybridge. Hinkley Flybridge 43, maybe used could get you to the price point without sacrificing quality...

Everything I saw on hinckley 44!price point had one stateroom and owners forums were not high on them other than show. Can't say anything personally as I haven't been on.

Love back coves - simplicity. My parents have had 2 37s. (One lost in sandy). If it had a flybridge I would be done!

Sabre seems to have abandoned the small flybridge models they once built...
Too bad as it took them out of the running when we went looking for our boat.
My objection to the Back Cove is that fiberglass liner. I understand that it is simple and easy to maintain but...it is simply too much fiberglass in the interior for my taste.
The other issue is the actual length overall of their boats. The Back Cove 41 is almost 47' and is simply too long for our slip.
They are not inexpensive either...
On the subject of length, even our dock neighbors Sabre 38 is some 46' overall in length. I much prefer the interior of the Sabre designs though.
Just watch boats built before mid 2005 for gelcoat cracking issues...
Bruce

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the input. The day it all started, I saw a sabre 42 flybridge and was ready to make an offer but for sh*ts and giggles and to kill some time, I went and looked at another nearby boat. Once on it, the sabre idea was dead as my wife fell in love. I ended up getting a 2005 GB Europa. Sacrificed on draft a bit at 4’2” vs the targeted 3’5” and a bit slower but it has 930hp so not too much. At the end of the day, wife fell in love and that was that.

GB was a great choice! I have a 1990 GB 32 and am consistently impressed with the build quality...structure, electrics, plumbing, everything. And of course the very traditional look. Of course, I should probably buy stock in a varnish company, just to get SOME benefit from all that exterior brightwork!
Happy boating!
Oldersalt

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the input. The day it all started, I saw a sabre 42 flybridge and was ready to make an offer but for sh*ts and giggles and to kill some time, I went and looked at another nearby boat. Once on it, the sabre idea was dead as my wife fell in love. I ended up getting a 2005 GB Europa. Sacrificed on draft a bit at 4’2” vs the targeted 3’5” and a bit slower but it has 930hp so not too much. At the end of the day, wife fell in love and that was that.

Legacy that's great news. In the end a lot has to do with comfort in the living spaces. That Europa has a nice classic look and I love those covered full walk around decks.
By the way for all this random advice, you do owe us some pics ;)

Here are some pics: IMG_4299.jpgIMG_4306.jpgIMG_4274.jpg

Sweet!

Looks great! Now you just have to wait til Spring.....getting cold up here!

The 43' American Tug won't meet your draft requirement as it is 4' 10".

It's not very classic looking but for a narrower "Cat that doesn't look like a Cat", you might consider an Aspen.

Or something kind of off the wall: check out an Elling E4. a gently used one can certainly be had in your price range and meets many of your desires.

Check out the AT395 with a 3'5" draft. Remember, the draft of all boats are measured either by design or almost empty. Start by subtracting 2ft of any recently built boat you look at. Now every builder adds in the swim platform to the AOL, unless you get an older boat. My 2008 AT is documented as a 34ft but, by todays standards, it is a 36ft boat. The current AT36 are identical to the 34ft. It just might make a difference if you pay taxes on it. Consider documenting the boat so you don't have to mess with those state required
hull numbers.

There is a broker up in your neck of the woods too. East Coast something. If you are interested, I will get the proper name of the brokerage.

It is also the residence of the east coast guru on ATs. He knows where all the wires go and has the approval of the factory too!!! Put the boat in his hands and you will not regret it. I get to see him once a year in FL and it is this weekend too!!!

Last edited:
Hi all,

What I need
- something that has somewhat of a look that is classic or downeast
- 2nd stateroom for 2 growing kids (10/5 today)
- flybridge
- stall shower
- cruising speed of at least 20 knots
- draft under 3'10" as my marina is very shallow, but mud

Many thanks for any thoughts or wisdom!

Jay

Looking at the North Pacific 39, it might satisfy all your needs but, I could not find the draft.
Of course, because the marina is shallow and filled with mud, you can always plow your own channel. After a while you might end up with your own private channel.

I must have missed the part where you stated your new boat's length!

Back
Top Bottom