Lame Brain Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Cooper

Vessel Name
Tuna Talk
Vessel Make
CC Tournament 30
I had a lame brain idea and then realized it may not be too crazy after I found a similar product called Prop Pak. The Prop Pak is a basically a boot that slips over your prop to protect it from barnacle growth. My idea is to slide a tarp under the boat from the stern and pull it forward to cover all the running gear, then tie it off on each side with the tarp extending out of the water about six inches. I like my idea better because it can be installed and removed without getting in the water. Has any one ever tried something similar? I've also heard of people placing a plastic garbage bag over their prop when they are going to be away from the boat for a month or two.

I would think that as long as water has access to your running gear....the little critters in the water will too. I suppose you could try to create an isolated amount of water if you could seal it off well enough, and apply some chemical to the area inside your tarp...but I suspect there might be enviromental/legal issues involved in that.

I have seen plastic 50 gallon drums slipped under outdrives, then a fresh water hose run in to flush out all the salt water. Few to no barnacles, at worst, slime.

I agree that the tarp alone will not prevent growth, but probably easy enough to solve that problem by pouring some chlorine in periodically. That has been tried, to protect the entire hull. The problem was, I believe, reports of problems with the fiberglass / bottom paint, but I can't imagine why. Also, the seaward side of the tarp will foul quickly, and you have to deal with putting it somewhere when you take the boat out.

I thought, with that title, you might be talking about me!

That's called a diaper, used to be common with old wooden barges that were at the end of their lives. Pull the tarp up tight and pump the sea water out with a hose. Also useful if you chronically forget to close your through-hulls.

Wifey B: Wouldn't the tarp and keeping it clean and using it every time end up more work than cleaning the prop or prop speed? :ermm:

Using something like a swimming pool with inflated ring has been used to keep the entire boat barnacle free.

The collar is pushed down when the boat is pulled in or out its slip and a gallon of Chlorox is dumped inside the float ring.

WifeyB - who said anything about cleaning the tarp :D

Thanks for the additional info, guys. I was wondering if a sprinkle of chlorine would help, apparently so! Maybe even a splash of vodka & cayenne, shaken not stirred.

I agree that the tarp alone will not prevent growth, but probably easy enough to solve that problem by pouring some chlorine in periodically. That has been tried, to protect the entire hull. The problem was, I believe, reports of problems with the fiberglass / bottom paint, but I can't imagine why. Also, the seaward side of the tarp will foul quickly, and you have to deal with putting it somewhere when you take the boat out.

They used to do this routinely near Long Beach, CA 5-10 years ago. I have no idea if they still do it, but it was a cool system for boats to about 30' or so (that I saw). They have vinyl liners that they float around the hulls with an aft gate that gets dropped for coming and going. They float chlorine dispensers to inhibit the natural growth. Maybe it works better there than elsewhere...maybe it's a local company that sold them all a bill of goods...maybe it would work everywhere. I just thought it was an interesting approach to solving the problem.

Back
Top Bottom