Albin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olegreg

Veteran Member
Hi Kieth,
What are the features that draws you an Albin? The 42 I looked at had too many hours on the engines. (12k) and smelled bad. But I liked the gallery up and extra stateroom for the grandkids.

The galley down on my 40. One of the few.
Also, no dinette built in or built in sofa.

I also have a rare completely open salon with galley down both features we wanted.
Also walk around decks and a walk around queen were on the "must" list as well as single engine.

Ditto most of the above points and would add it was the overall seaworthiness of the design that sold us. Other points on our shopping list Albin met were:
large opening screened windows
Extra wide gunwales,
no teak,
covered aft deck
steps only, no ladders
galley down

The Albin 36 and 40 I do not consider seaworthy to the point of taking on serious water depending on year and how it was ultimately put together

Coastal cruising and riding out short duration storms is one thing....but I don't trust the older ones unless it had a tremendously active upkeep program...and even then, certain vonstruction features spell coastal, duck in quick cruiser..

Some 36s and my 40 roll like pigs wallowing in mud in the righ vonditions....something I wouldnt dare for more than a days travel...not worth it.

Just the comment on largecwindows makes seaworthy a debateable comment unless you plan on covering them with lexan stom covers.

Some models and year groups may be better, and also the larger ones.

Last edited:
Your quite right about the oversize windows being a compromise to seaworthiness, particularly the forward facing lower bridge windows. Everything on these toy boats is a compromise of some form or another.

Alas, the big windows were one of the wife's "must haves" which I was compelled to find if I didn't want to end up playing Captain of a motorhome which she reminded, "does have" nice large opening screened windows and is quite safe in storms.

Were we to spend serious time off shore, I would definitely want it fitted with storm covers.

Regarding "seaworthiness" the only feature I would brag about is the extreme bow flare that makes my 40 a very dry boat in rough conditions.

Other than that PS's wallowing comment is one I agree with.

The problem with the 40 Albin, is it is dang near a 40 foot boat on a 34 foot waterline.....can't say for sure, but the other models, the 36 and 43 from the 80s I will bet are similar.

Makes a pretty good boat, but with some significant issues.

A lot of boaters comnent on how salty she looks, goes to shoe you what boaters know... :)

Ours is also the open saloon with galley down and two heads. Our must have list included no teak decks, no Volvos. In the case of our boat, very well maintained and completely updated by the PO. Understand about the large forward windows and under no illusions about the true design limitations.

I know someone with a similar 40 and this boat has a higher bow and freeboard, much more spacious ER.

There are definitely some conditions that make it a handful, but increasing speed has a dramatic beneficial effect on ride and handling when that occurs.

Ken

Don't like the noise, clutter, space consumtion in my living room.

Saying the cook isnt in the group is total BS on a 40 footer, they hear and can see a lot of wehat is going on.

If you are busy in the galley, up or down you will miss things only the helmsman or lookout sees anyway. If the event or sight to see lasts more than a few seconds, 3 steps is hardly more effort than turning around and still figuring out where to look.

Been on both, always bought galley down.

Rarely cook when underway, if it is, its something simple that only takes seconds at a time down there.

Crock pot meals for days we know we will get in late.

For all the boats that travel with 2 people, where are all the safety gurus that say that other set of eyes should be a lookout, not cooking up or down? :D

Don't like the noise, clutter, space consumtion in my living room.

Times 2.
Plus we wanted real chairs rather than having to sit at a dinette all the time.
There is also no obstruction at the helm side door.

Ken being single engine speeding up in not an option. LOL

Back
Top Bottom