Perkins 6.354 starter solenoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHeckrotte

Guru
Vessel Name
Revel
Vessel Make
1984 Fu Hwa 39
When it rains, it pours!

We just got our fuel tanks in and the engines ran for the first time in two months. Now it appears that the marina guys slopped 'barnacle buster' all over the engine's relays and starter solenoid. I've cleaned everything I could see, got the corrosion off of connections, replaced the relays, disassembled the starter solenoid and cleaned the internal connections. They were burned. I got several cranks and one 'almost start' before its performance dropped back to no cranking. Gotta' find a new solenoid.

Where? How do I find a part number? I've got the parts manuals but they don't include the solenoid(!).

I just had one of my 6.354 starters rebuilt. Its a pretty common Delco starter/solenoid combo. Any local rebuilder will have access to the part. I went for a complete rebuild w/ new solenoid. Cost about $200.

I also had a Perkins starter rebuilt. Very common starter any shop can do it.
I believe the external solenoid is generic. I carry a generic aboard for my Lehman.

Last week I replaced the starter solenoid on a Perkins 6.354 on a farm tractor. Got it from a shop that rebuilds starters and alternators. Cost about $25.

Bought a solenoid from TAD. Exact match. About $60. + overnight UPS.

Installed it. Still no go! Turn key and the idiot lights light and alarms sound. Turn key to start and lights and sounds turn off and the starter gives one clunk and then nothing. (The starboard engine's idiot lights and sounds work until the engine starts.)

Pull the starter apart, dress the commutator, clean it well, grease the bearings, replace the brushes, might even paint it if you're not in a rush, another 20 years added. Easy job.

Although, it's probably a ground connection - you did check that?

Last edited:
Have you checked the battery voltage at the battery while trying to crank? Should stay above ~ 10.5V. If not then battery is in question.
If so then a connection is still in question.
If you are positive that all connections are GOOD, tight, clean including the crimp barrels then the starter may be in need of some work.
Last try would be to connect the DMM to the starter lugs, not the solenoid, and try cranking again. If voltage looks good and still just a clunk then the starter will need some work as
Xsbank suggests. If the problem is in the starter the voltage may not even drop much since no or low current means no or low voltage drop.

Another question. How is the starter grounded? Many have a dedicated ground terminal which will have a ground wire which ideally would go back to the battery buss but is often simply connected to the engine block. If the engine block to battery buss is poor the the starter cannot work.
Which brings up the other item. Many starters are grounded through their own case to the engine block where the starter bolts to the block. If that junction/mounting is dirty the starter cannot work as the circuit is compromised.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom