Kettle grill for pizza/general cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aenlic

Veteran Member
I can't locate the thread where I saw this, but one poster commented that for a gas grill there's not much 'special' to be gained by open-flame cooking, so he opted to use a pan.

That got me thinking: My boat came with a somewhat useless stove. Two burners, same size, which take ten minutes to boil four cups of water and can't keep water boiling to cook a box of pasta. The oven is only as deep as the two burners, so it won't fit a pizza or a decent-sized casserole disk (lasagna).

I'm toying with getting a 17" kettle grill, which could fit my modest-sized pizza, and replacing the stove with a more capable two-burner cooktop. I'd also likely use it for stir-fry, using my (awesome!) Magma non-stick wok.

Thoughts?

aenlic

I recently installed 2 cooktop (one inside one outside) in my boat. I used home appliance and not marine ones and very happy with them. Each one was very cheap, costing less than 100$CAD.

I'm toying with getting a 17" kettle grill, which could fit my modest-sized pizza, and replacing the stove with a more capable two-burner cooktop. I'd also likely use it for stir-fry, using my (awesome!) Magma non-stick wok.

What means "kettle grill?" Magma, or some such? Propane? If so, sure, that'd work; we use a pan on/in ours from time to time...

FWIW, there are combination microwave/convection ovens that will handle a pizza.

Certainly sounds like replacing your current unit (is that alcohol?) would be a good idea no matter what else you do. Our cooktop is ceramic electric, works fine, but of course takes shorepower or genset. Induction electric would likely be even better, but ours ain't broke yet, so...

-Chris

What means "kettle grill?" Magma, or some such? Propane? If so, sure, that'd work; we use a pan on/in ours from time to time...

FWIW, there are combination microwave/convection ovens that will handle a pizza.

Certainly sounds like replacing your current unit (is that alcohol?) would be a good idea no matter what else you do. Our cooktop is ceramic electric, works fine, but of course takes shorepower or genset. Induction electric would likely be even better, but ours ain't broke yet, so...

-Chris

Sorry, "kettle" as in round. I like the evenness of the heat described by some users, and being a certified nerd the physics of the spherical shape provides the best efficiency. :)

I'm toying with different options, thanks all for the input.

aenlic

We have a Magma Kettle grill, when we are cruising we use it a lot. I have never done a pizza in it but don't see why that would be a problem. I have a flame ring to replace the grill so in addition to BBQ'ing I can do stir fry or curries in a wok. I have done Paellas on it also. I have a folding windscreen which helps when it breezy, also a stand in case we want to use it on shore.

Seem to remember reading about someone using a gas grill for cooking pizza. They used a pizza stone which I seem to remember eliminated the temperature spikes. Think the stone was slightly larger than the pizza and 1 to 2" thick.

Ted

There are several gas-stovetop pizza makers on the market.

Need gas, higher BTU output, and do incorporate a stone.

Also ones that fit over particular gas BBQs.

Inside a standard kettle I am very skeptical

Seem to remember reading about someone using a gas grill for cooking pizza. They used a pizza stone which I seem to remember eliminated the temperature spikes. Think the stone was slightly larger than the pizza and 1 to 2" thick.

Ted

Yup I have 2 of these stones one round one square. Mine are 1/2 inch thick cost around 50 bucks and are very convenient for pizza cooking as they distribute heat evenly and can be warmed up before putting the pizza on.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B005I...izza+stone&dpPl=1&dpID=31IVrmTcs6L&ref=plSrch

L

I've never used my Princess stove oven the boat.
I do ALL my baking in my Weber Q280 gas grill.
I got the 280 because at that time it was the only Q series Weber that used 20# propane. I didn't want to mess with small bottles.

And of course, nothing makes better ribs, streak or chicken.

Inside a standard kettle I am very skeptical

I dunno...

Our Magma, even though there's an"adjustable" control, mostly has two temps: hot, and BLAST FURNACE. Adding a stone would seem to me to regulate all that evenly over (under) the surface of something like a pizza...

Haven't ever tried though. We usually consider pizza to be our bail-out food, i.e., what someone else will deliver, fully cooked, when we've failed to properly prepare for cooking something ourselves. That works best at the dock, though. :)

-Chris

pizza

As far as pizza goes, if it is one of the frozen/Pre. made ones it may work for you. If you are going to make your own the biggest problem will be getting enough heat to the top of the pizza to brown it,

I have done it on land with a large grill and had limited success. I went to a propane fired grill that was meant for cooking pizza and never looked back. Have used it in the cockpit of the boat, but it was way to heavy and only in calm seas. One wave and pizza can be very messy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom