secondary anchor for SE US/ bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stickman

Vessel Name
THIRD CHILD
Vessel Make
KADEY KROGEN 48AE
Have a Rocna 88 for a trawler primary anchor. Boat will spend next 5 years likely between cheasapeake and SC, Florida, western bahamas.

Any suggestions for secondary anchor for port side? A wide claw interferes with Rocna at the pulpit.

Thanks!

Here's a vote for a CQR plow. Now I'll step back - this should be a lively discussion!

What ever fits. We haven't used our second anchor in 10 years. I figure if we took it off though, we'd need it the next day. :D

I carry three anchors. Two have never been used.
If you want to carry a second anchor, a Vulcan (no roll bar) might fit next to your Rocna and it seems to be equally as good.

A good stern anchor might be useful.

Have a Rocna 88 for a trawler primary anchor. Boat will spend next 5 years likely between cheasapeake and SC, Florida, western bahamas.

Any suggestions for secondary anchor for port side? A wide claw interferes with Rocna at the pulpit.

Can't suggest what might fit, but we use SuperMAX with a Fortress backup here in the Chesapeake and they both do well in the normal mud and sometimes slime.

For a second mounted ancor, I think a generic suggestion would be "something designed differently from the Rocna" -- or maybe one known for better performance in different substrate from what the Rocna is good at -- so if one doesn't work wherever you might be, the other may.

The Fortress stock might interfere with the Rocna on your pulpit; if so, I'd suggest you consider carrying one of those dismantled/stowed in any case. Useful if there's a size that works for your boat under normal conditions but yet is still also usable as a kedge should that be necessary.

-Chris

Last edited:
Not knowing what fits on your pulpit or not, I'd second the idea of a Fortress/Danforth design or a Supermax. Or rather than hang it off your pulpit, if possible, keep separately so it could also be deployed as a stern anchor (making a Fortress ideal).

We never used our back-up anchor (CQR 65lb). The Rocna (44Kg) did the job every time. We never saw anybody using the "Bahamas Moor" with 2 anchors while cruising there - not to say it doesn't happen!

Second Anchor

We have a 44lb Rocna as a primary on our 34ft Mariner Orient and has been excellent. Use a high tensile danforth as a secondary for different bottom conditions but mostly for reversing currents found in NC,SC and GA rivers and creeks. We enjoy anchoring in smaller creeks and want to limit our swing.
Years ago as a sailor in the Bahamas, we only used a second anchor in crowded narrow anchorages.

Agree with those who suggest getting a second anchor that has different characteristics than the Rocna. We have a 40 kg Rocna which we use all the time. Our second anchor is a Bruce which we have not used in 10 years (Rocna purchase). If(when) we return to the US, I plan to replace the Bruce with a Fortress which has better holding in mud, and I think also in grass. I would tie the Fortress so that it would be vertical on the dual anchor rollers and thus not interfere with the Rocna.

Some anchors dig , some burry , one of each is considered smart.

Not knowing what fits on your pulpit or not, I'd second the idea of a Fortress/Danforth design or a Supermax. Or rather than hang it off your pulpit, if possible, keep separately so it could also be deployed as a stern anchor (making a Fortress ideal).

Thinking on it some more... I'd think an adjustable (pivoting) SuperMAX and a (insert owner's other favorite here) on a dual-mount pulpit -- with an appropriately sized Fortress on board as back-up and kedge -- would be the bee's knees. The MAX would surely contrast with the Rocna design...

And if we had a dual-mount pulpit, I'd probably be all over that... but as it is, we're limited to just the MAX and the Fortress.

OTOH, since mounting our SuperMAX, we haven't ever had to worry about what anchor to use (so the "other" anchor might not ever get much use). Nor have we ever even (yet) had to adjust it from the middle pivot position. OTOOH, we've only used it here in the Chesapeake mud, so can't say we have first hand experience in other substrate.

Without reviewing the recommended sizes, I'd guess at least one size up from ours would be what a KK48 needs... and the "mouth" of the (back-hoe style) flukes would be pretty wide. A mock-up for a trial fit probably wouldn't be difficult, though...

-Chris

Last edited:
thanks to all.

I had planned to keep a Fortress stored for use as needed. I have done that on my offshore CC and it's an easy system to use.

Since I have a twin pulpit, was trying to decide on a port anchor option. I've seen Fortress anchors stored there- awkward appearing but functional.

I second the Super Max.

Or a Supreme that has the short scope performance the Rocna lacks. But then you wouldn't need the Rocna.

Chris,
Is your Max regulation/regular size or oversized?
Why do you recommend the pivioting shank when you've never needed it?

Chris,
Is your Max regulation/regular size or oversized?
Why do you recommend the pivioting shank when you've never needed it?

Ours is currently the pivoting MAX17, the size recommended for our displacement (and they say their recommended sizes are sufficient as a storm anchor, too).

See here for specs:
Max Marine Products - Specifications

We actually used a pivoting MAX16 for about 10 years or so on this boat, after we eventually got an electric windlass installed. I'd brought that over from a previous boat... but a dock neighbor wanted a new anchor, another member here happened to have a 17 available, the gods smiled, E Voila!

(Prior to windlass install, we used a Fortress; first an FX-23 and then later, an FX-37, latter being slightly upsized for our boat. Both worked great. Fellow YC member wanted a 23, I wanted larger, another E Voila!)

As to why pivoting... heh... two reasons. First is that was what was available when I was making our original purchasing decision, slightly before they introduced the other design (adjustment via scope). Second is because... seems like a useful idea, to me... whereas adjusting via scope seems less accurate, at least for me.

It also happens the pivoting adjustment can be made on deck without completely dismantling the anchor, not like the way a Fortress works. Latter is good, too, but the MAX adjustment is relatively easy with the weight of the anchor still resting on the roller and in the trough in our pulpit. Besides, I reckon I'll eventually need that adjustment SOMETIME in my life. :)

The "bucket" is kind of a beast, though, so may not be compatible with OPs dual-pulpit system or with a Rocna on the other roller...

-Chris

Not to hijack but...

I don't currently have a second anchor on my boat and I definitely need one. If I was to lose my anchor, would be in trouble. I still have my 45lbs CQR copy (anyone want it?) but I don't have a dual anchor roller and it is too awkward to stow. On my sailboat I have a Fortress broken down and stowed in an aft lazarette along with a rode. I am thinking that may be the best solution for my current boat as well.

As a spare anchor that likely won't ever get used, I'm thinking the FX23 may be just fine. 15' of chain with a nylon rode should be good. Maybe I can get away with 5/8" nylon since I have a spool of it available.

On a 43' trawler with a lot of windage, is the FX23 adequate for a spare or am I better off upsizing to the FX37?

Other options? There is the Sarca Excel that breaks down. That would be really nice but I'm guessing a lot more expensive and wouldn't stow quite as well. It also would be much heavier.

I have an 85# Mantus as primary and a Fortress, never had to deploy, as backup IMG_4070.JPG

On a 43' trawler with a lot of windage, is the FX23 adequate for a spare or am I better off upsizing to the FX37?

Other options? There is the Sarca Excel that breaks down.

Your boat is similar in length but likely heavier than ours and with more windage. We carry an FX-37. The FX-23 we used for a while previously worked fine, but... I liked the "bigger is better" theory, and the extra weight seems useful too. I can still hump the 37 around manually as necessary, and it's still light enough/small enough (just) to use from our dinghy as a kedge if necessary.

I think the Spade anchors break down. I think there's another design that does, too, but the name isn't coming to mind just now...

-Chris

If you cruise much you WILL run aground ,eventually.

An anchor that can be rowed out in the dink with a long line is sometimes a great help.

The line size (1/2 in? ) and the anchor weight is critical to safe and rapid dink deployment.

The imitation Danforths in aluminum are great for this.

I have a 35 Danforth as my main, and a 44 Delta as secondary, on the bow all rigged and ready.
When we cruised in Canada I switched the two as the Danforth doesn't do well in weedy ground.
I have deployed two on several occasions, most recently at Block Island last year in 35 knot winds where poor holding ground and the necessity for short scope is the norm.
Some boats dragged, I didn't budge.

...I think the Spade anchors break down. I think there's another design that does, too, but the name isn't coming to mind just now...

-Chris
I think the Sarca Excel might, and if not it may be compact enough to sit beside the bower anchor on the bow. But,is it wise to have the back up anchor needing assembly, if that is what "break down" means? If the main has failed or been lost, I`d like the back up ready and raring to go.

We have a Delta in the roller as primary. I have a Fortress FX37 as a secondary hanging from the bow rail on the pulpit with the shank secured by a chain stopper on the pulpit. We have never used it. Also keep a Danforth in the aft cabin in case we would want a stern anchor or to deploy ashore in the North Channel.

What ever fits. We haven't used our second anchor in 10 years. I figure if we took it off though, we'd need it the next day. :D

Ditto that!! We replaced a knockoff Bruce/Claw (that was useless) with a 40kg Rocna in 2006, have cruised all over the eastern seaboard from North Channel to the Maritimes, NS, eastern seaboard to the keys, the Bahamas to the Raggeds. The Rocna is well-used, it's been re-galvanized once. Best boat money ever spent.

The Rocna hangs next to a 45# Delta "Quick-Set" which is neither! Mostly it's decoration. OK, it's been deployed twice in 11 yrs, both times as a stern anchor to set us in some particularly strong surge. But there's something to be said for having an anchor you can count on. The Delta doesn't meet that criteria!

Thanks!

Sorry, haven't had time to read all other posts, but the only substrate the Rocna was found a bit wanting in was very soft mud, where the Fortress performed well, even a smaller size. So I'd recommend that option, and as you'll probably never need it, except maybe as a stern anchor, don't even set it on the pulpit, but stow in the lazaret ready for the latter use. If your primary fails, then you can trot forward with it then. Being alloy, they are light for size I understand.

PS. Having now had time to look back over the other posts, it would appear exactly what I just said was also suggested by a number of others. That must constitute a fairly good guide, especially as I use a Super-Sarca myself..?

Last edited:
Ours is currently the pivoting MAX17, the size recommended for our displacement (and they say their recommended sizes are sufficient as a storm anchor, too).

See here for specs:
Max Marine Products - Specifications

We actually used a pivoting MAX16 for about 10 years or so on this boat, after we eventually got an electric windlass installed. I'd brought that over from a previous boat... but a dock neighbor wanted a new anchor, another member here happened to have a 17 available, the gods smiled, E Voila!

(Prior to windlass install, we used a Fortress; first an FX-23 and then later, an FX-37, latter being slightly upsized for our boat. Both worked great. Fellow YC member wanted a 23, I wanted larger, another E Voila!)

As to why pivoting... heh... two reasons. First is that was what was available when I was making our original purchasing decision, slightly before they introduced the other design (adjustment via scope). Second is because... seems like a useful idea, to me... whereas adjusting via scope seems less accurate, at least for me.

It also happens the pivoting adjustment can be made on deck without completely dismantling the anchor, not like the way a Fortress works. Latter is good, too, but the MAX adjustment is relatively easy with the weight of the anchor still resting on the roller and in the trough in our pulpit. Besides, I reckon I'll eventually need that adjustment SOMETIME in my life. :)

The "bucket" is kind of a beast, though, so may not be compatible with OPs dual-pulpit system or with a Rocna on the other roller...

-Chris

Chris does an excellent job of describing the Super MAX Anchor. Not much I can add. It is oversized for a high degree of security, matching the vessel specs. We do not subscribe to the concept that one can "get by with a lighter/smaller anchor." When you need it, you have it available. The pivoting arm model does indeed allow for adjustments on deck and nothing has to be dismantled to adjust. Loosen the fulcrum nut/bolt then move the pivoting arm nut/bolt to the desired position according to the seabed substrate. All this takes place with the anchor securely on deck. The rigid shank model was introduced because many pivoting arm users shared they rarely/never changed the setting from the middle setting (narrow angle for hard seabeds/sand and the open angle for very soft/ooze.) They opted for the non-adjustable model.

I have a Super MAX 17 pivoting arm as the main bower and a Fortress F-37 as a backup. (Excellent anchor!). It is assembled and ready for deployment if ever needed. Have not needed that yet but never know when. Had a customer in New Smyrna Beach lose his Super MAX in Hurricane Matthew. His nylon rode frayed and broke. Anchor held but boat drifted away. He was not onboard so could not deploy another anchor.

Steve

Aluminum Spade it is light holds very well sets and resets much better than most and comes apart. Check out the long term Practical Sailor tests and the anchor tests on this site. When you need to set a second anchor in expected bad conditions or need to kedge off a light anchor taken out in your dinghy is the way to go and my Spades have served very well for 20+ years in that department.

I think the Sarca Excel might, and if not it may be compact enough to sit beside the bower anchor on the bow. But,is it wise to have the back up anchor needing assembly, if that is what "break down" means? If the main has failed or been lost, I`d like the back up ready and raring to go.

Spade anchors go together from break down in about 30 seconds shaft slides into slot one screw with fresh lock nut. The rode can be stored on the shaft. Fortress is much more complicated .

thanks to all.

I had planned to keep a Fortress stored for use as needed. I have done that on my offshore CC and it's an easy system to use.

Since I have a twin pulpit, was trying to decide on a port anchor option. I've seen Fortress anchors stored there- awkward appearing but functional.

I was hoping that another KK 48 member might jump into this but I don't believe anyone has. We have been selling Super MAX (rigid shank models) to Kadey Krogen since 2006. They have been paired with a number of other popular anchor brands including ROCNA, Spade, etc. Sometimes the Super MAX is in the port roller position and sometimes it is in the center position. We generally supply KK with Super MAX 20 or Super MAX 22.

Good luck if you have not yet made a final decision.

Steve

Spade anchors go together from break down in about 30 seconds shaft slides into slot one screw with fresh lock nut. The rode can be stored on the shaft.

Interesting to know; thanks for posting.

-Chris

This is how we store our secondary Fortress anchor.

Attachments

• E52DE10E-9318-412B-BEC8-E7B3A457C8BF.jpg
    E52DE10E-9318-412B-BEC8-E7B3A457C8BF.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 62

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom