How can I get a ride on a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Planobilly

Veteran Member
Hi,

I am seriously considering buying a 34 Mainship trawler. I have never been on a trawler.

I would really love to go for a ride on someones boat of this general type. I live in Florida but can travel most anywhere. I have many years of boating experience both power and sail.

I am retired and have time and resources to go where ever I want to for the most part. So...a trip of a few hours or a few days would be great. I can do most anything that needs to be done on any boat. I would be more than glad to help with any of the cost. I own a boat so I am well aware of what things cost.

If anyone is short handed and would like to have an experienced person to come along that would be great. Having a first hand look at this type of boating would be a great help to me to make my final decision.

I know south Florida well and the Bahamas so I am sure I could be of value if someone needed a hand. Perhaps this could be of value to both of us.

I am open to any part of the east coast or gulf coast.

Thanks,

Billy

Sounds like a candidate for a crew for Richard on Dauntless. :)

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I called Chitwood and they have affordable charter rates. They have a 36 Grand Banks which I guess could give me at least an introduction to the trawler world. A couple of thousand for 4 days plus fuel. I also have the option for a couple of weeks and take the boat down to Ft Jefferson which would be a fun trip.

Not sure who Richard is or where he is going with his boat but I am most likely a good candidate for most any adventure...lol

I have a USCG 100 ton Masters and quit drinking and chasing women about 60 years ago which is in general a good thing for a crew member...lol

Thanks guys,

Billy

Greetings,
Mr. P. "...quit drinking and chasing women about 60 years ago..." So, that would make you about 130 years old then?

200.gif

Yes, 130 years old is about right but you can forget about me dancing. You may be able to twist my arm to play guitar in a band at a bar but no dancing...lol

Richard is on a KK42, the ride is completely different from the Mainship 34. I know because I have owned both. Really try to get on a smaller, lighter, narrower, flat bottom boat for the true experience.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I called Chitwood and they have affordable charter rates. They have a 36 Grand Banks which I guess could give me at least an introduction to the trawler world. A couple of thousand for 4 days plus fuel. I also have the option for a couple of weeks and take the boat down to Ft Jefferson which would be a fun trip.

Hi Billy, that sure would be a great trip. I say go for it and enjoy it Mate.:thumb:

Cheers.

H

Sounds like a candidate for a crew for Richard on Dauntless. :)

Thanks Dhays,
But I'm done for the year.

I've discovered there is not better place to leave the boat than where i am for the next 1300 miles.
And at this point, that's too far, too hard with contrary winds.

Planobilly; said:
I am seriously considering buying a 34 Mainship trawler. I have never been on a trawler. I would really love to go for a ride on someones boat of this general type. I live in Florida but can travel most anywhere.
Sounds like you have skills, qualifications and time.

Why not put yourself in target rich environments?
Dock walk in Lauderdale, talk to delivery captains.
Hit the Mainship dealers and offer temp help with sales and boat show deliveries.

Make up some cards, network and schmooze.

Consider outfits like Yacht Crew Job Placement | Fort Lauderdale | Florida | Crewfinders although they don't likely deal in 34 footers, but you get the idea.

Thanks Dhays,
But I'm done for the year.

I've discovered there is not better place to leave the boat than where i am for the next 1300 miles.
And at this point, that's too far, too hard with contrary winds.

Glad you got it settled. If it weren't for this whole working thing, I would have come down to help you with some of those legs.

Come on down to S. Louisiana, I'll be happy to take you out for a day and show you all the ropes involved in this business, no charge, no cost sharing, nada. . PM me if your interested.

I'm getting ready (in a week or so) to go from Mobile up the Tom Bigbee to Tennessee. Should be a 7 to 10 day trip. PM me if you are interested. The boat is a Gulfstar 43 trawler.

Just went on that trip a month ago, I really enjoyed it.

I have a 1979 Mainship 34 in St Marks, FL.

She's being worked on but mechanically sound and regularly used.

Shoot me a PM/not looking for money

If you ever make it to Tennessee you are more than welcome to take a ride with us on William. It's an old Florida work boat . I think you'll get a trawler before I can get that way . Good luck with your search.

What great, stand up folks.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Really.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I was thinking the same thing. Makes me feel good to be a part of this community!!!

Glad you got it settled. If it weren't for this whole working thing, I would have come down to help you with some of those legs.

Yeah, that's what the Ex said too.

Seriously, i do appreciate all the help and realize that everyone has to work and has responsibilities.

So, I'm saying in my awkward way, I do appreciate the moral support too.

WOW!!! What a great bunch of people on this site!!!

Sorry, I have been away from the computer for a day of so. Had to install a new autopilot in the Contender. Finally have every last thing working.

Ok, I will PM everyone who responded.

A million thanks,

Billy

I'm getting ready (in a week or so) to go from Mobile up the Tom Bigbee to Tennessee. Should be a 7 to 10 day trip. PM me if you are interested. The boat is a Gulfstar 43 trawler.

Hi,

I sent you a PM with the contact info.

Thank you ever so much for your kind offer. I would love to make that trip!!

Last time I was in a river was catching catfish as a kid!!!...lol

Looking forward to your call.

Thanks,

Billy

Come on down to S. Louisiana, I'll be happy to take you out for a day and show you all the ropes involved in this business, no charge, no cost sharing, nada. . PM me if your interested.

Thank you so much for the offer. I will PM you with contact info. If I can make connections with Tink I would like to take the trip with him.

Perhaps I can also get down to the bayou country. I have not had crawfish and boudin for some time now. My French is a little rusty but I think I can still manage...lol

It looks like you have a great boat!!

Thanks again,

Billy

If you ever make it to Tennessee you are more than welcome to take a ride with us on William. It's an old Florida work boat . I think you'll get a trawler before I can get that way . Good luck with your search.

Hi Marty,

Thank you so much for the kind offer. If I can get in contact with Tink, I may wind up in Tennessee faster than I ever imagined!!...lol

I have to think Tennessee would be a nice place to be about now. It is just really hot here at the moment.

I will send you a PM with my contact info.

Again, thanks,

Billy

Back
Top Bottom