Folding Bikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MakinMemories

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Makin Memories
Vessel Make
1987 41' President
Just added two folding bikes to our inventory for the Great Loop cruise. They are Tokyo Citizen 16" folding bikes and will live in the forward cabin. We brought our regular street bikes with us on our Key West trip but found them too awkward to manage. The folding bikes are "just right" for us.
13125-albums528-picture3879.jpg

Subscribed
We have two used dahon mariner 20" folding bikes. At 30# they are compact but not light. Looking for something better.

They weigh-in at 30lbs apiece also. The trade off for us (besides price) is just how compact they can become. Makes them easily storable.
13125-albums528-picture3881.png

+1 for the Dahon Mariner on 20" wheels. Tolerable on tight gravel, but it is no mountain bike. Works great, saves a lot of time hauling provisions back to the boat. I can stuff it in a bike bag and leave it out in the rain. Going to get a 2nd one for my crew.

Subscribed
We have two used dahon mariner 20" folding bikes. At 30# they are compact but not light. Looking for something better.

We have the same 30 lb set up. Purchased used and they are over 20 years old. They are in great shape and have been on deck for two years in a bag. The new Mariner is 26# with the 20" wheels. If you go to 18" wheels on non-marine bike you can get to 21lbs. That would not work for me and the saltwater environment mine live it.

In cruising circles, better known as "clown bikes" for the small wheels...

(Used them for years, though, and they came in very handy.)

I'm shopping, too.

Probably going to get the smaller Dahon.

I've got a 26in Dahon, and it's too big. My full size Trek is actually smaller for travel, taking off the front tire, pedals and turning the handle bars line up against a wall. But both too big for the boat.

We use the Dahon 20" bikes and they high quality and fold to 2 ft x 2 ft x 1 ft. I store them both in the engine room so they are always dry and rust free.

These bikes are surprisingly easy and comfortable to ride. On several occasions, I have gone up to 25 mi round trip to shop.

Makin.

Nice Mate and enjoy.

Cheers.

H.

If you use the Dahon or any other aluminum frame bike, spray the derailleur gears and chain with WD40 or similar every so often. They are steel and will rust.

David

We have a Dahon for my wife, but I had to find a bigger and beefier bike (I am 6' 5") so I found a Camp on Amazon. They are 26". The alternative was a Montague Paratrooper but they are 3 times as much. The Camp seems very well built. Now we have to make a couple of bike bags.

Attachments

• 71Ttv0D1bVL._SL1500_.jpg
    71Ttv0D1bVL._SL1500_.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 75
We have a Dahon for my wife, but I had to find a bigger and beefier bike (I am 6' 5") so I found a Camp on Amazon. They are 26". The alternative was a Montague Paratrooper but they are 3 times as much. The Camp seems very well built. Now we have to make a couple of bike bags.
I bought replacement Dahon bags on eBay for about $20 a piece. Not worth making at that price.

When you walk you have a 20-25 block range.
When you bike you have a 15-20 Mile range. Lots more to see.

If you use the Dahon or any other aluminum frame bike, spray the derailleur gears and chain with WD40 or similar every so often. They are steel and will rust.

David

FWIW, WD40 is only a water displacement. A product like Boeshield, Corrosion X or LPS 2 or 3 is MUCH better. I've had Boeshield last 6 months on kayak pedal chains that are in salt water a lot. It's a thicker product.

Question:
Can anyone compare the Montegue with the Dahon Mariner? Perticularly for rides up to 10 miles or so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom