What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dprice6626

Hello All...a little bit of background. 53 years old and planning on retiring at 62. Have had many small boats, currently a 24 center console. Wife and kids love the boat. I have aspirations to do the loop when I retire. I love taking trips on our current boat, but they are "hotel trips"...ie cruise somewhere for 3 or 4 hours and get a hotel. Here is my dilema, wife has no desire to do the loop with me so I am strongly considering single handing it. Question is, the boat. Im looking at Roseborough's and Ranger Tugs and C-Dory. I know you can do the loop in anything that floats, but Im trying to be realistic. Will I be comfortable single handing and existing on a Roseborough/Ranger for the loop or should I go bigger? Im worried I wont be able to handle much bigger but I dont want to make a 100k mistake. Thanks in advance!

I haven't any actual experience doing the loop or single handing the boats you mention, but it is certainly physically possible to do what you are contemplating. I think it's more a matter of mind set. If you think you'll be comfortable on a small boat by yourself, then you will be. Although it seems essentially obvious that your comfort level rises with the size of vessel (to a degree).

Retriever, who is a member of this forum, went from Seattle to Alaska on a C-Dory 22. He now owns a Nordic Tugs 37 and leads flotillas to Alaska, mostly single handing. I may be going out on a limb, but I bet he wouldn't want to trade back down...

Hmm, this is a tough question. I have no desire to do the loop. With that said, I do go to the Bahamas and when she is in her home port I spend a few nights in a row on her whenever time allows. I love my boat, however, after handling her for almost a year now, I do feel that I could up the size a good 10 feet. Any boat takes time to adjust to being comfortable with handling no matter the size. In a boat that you are going to spend long periods of time on, size matters IMO.

Maybe we'll hear from Ted/O C Diver, a forum member. He's single handing the loop now. Here's the link to his blog. The boat or comparable maybe a little big for some but you'll get the idea.

M/V Slow Hand

Read this book by a woman who soloed the loop in a 25 Ranger. This will either convince you (OR NOT) to embark on that adventure..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M63E3F3/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

I've met folks doing long distance travels in the 25-26 Rosboroughs too...It's doable if you're good at stuffing 10 lbs. of stuff into a 5 lb. bag.. My 28 has been from Maine to the Keys under its previous owner.
A C-Dory might be a bit too spartan IMO

Personally, I'm with Donna! I have no desire..:)

Last edited:
I can't imagine it would be hard to do it single handed, many have done it.

However, pick up a girl friend and you won't have to go solo. My buddy did that on his "half loop" trip. Worked great.

Solo handling requires planning and preparing for docking and anchoring. If you're retired, time isn't important. Wait and plan tougher situations in low wind and current conditions. Have your lines and fenders laid out or your anchor ready to let go.
I don't think big boats are any harder to handle and they're a lot more comfortable. Especially as a liveaboard.
I think Seevee has an excellent idea.

Hi Dprice6626,

Currently doing the Loop solo on my 45' Cherubini. Haven't run into any situation that wasn't manageable solo. That said, planning each day's events before you start, having a couple of alternatives, and staying put on bad weather days, are key to success. While the size of my boat hasn't been a problem, 36 to 40' might be a better choice. Certainly you can go smaller than 36', but at some point (depending on the person) it becomes to small. Remember, you're going to be on this boat for quite a while. The last thing regarding size has to do with how calm it needs to be to go out. While most of the Loop is in confined water, there are the Great Lakes and a number of large bays. The smaller the boat, the nicer the weather needs to be. If I can answer any questions for you, don't hesitate to ask

Ted

Last edited:
Planning to do the loop in two yrs - but with my wife aboard. From all I've heard and experienced, the biggest challenge going solo is the locks. But that has been handled well by many.

Planning to do the loop in two yrs - but with my wife aboard. From all I've heard and experienced, the biggest challenge going solo is the locks. But that has been handled well by many.

With the boat properly set up, locking solo is manageable. Certainly a smaller boat makes it easier. It's like docking, with practice, you get better at it. Good idea to do some before you start your trip.

Ted

Manageable but greatly depend on the locking conditions. Lock in a high wind day, stormy weather or just with a full load of boat and it won't be so easy. When you need to tie shoulders between boats it will be a bit more challenging to be alone. I went through 100+ locks in 2 years and won't try to do it single. But I admit I am green wood so more experienced gents may find it piece of cake.

L.

If I were considering the loop solo and didn't have a boat yet, I'd probably be looking at something like a Mainship 34. Modern engine & systems, decent turn of speed with right engine, comfortable (especially single handing), a shower and decent resale. Another candidate might be Bayliner 3888. In gassers, probably something like Art's Tollycraft 34.

Foxtrot

You can take whatever Ted tells you to the bank! He is just now completing the loop single handed presently but he derives his help from beer! ?

On a couple previous boats that I soloed, I made a wired remote for the autopilot and engines so I could be at the rail or bow and control everything. If you do, kill switches are a good safety feature.

Im not inclined to loop but think I could do it single handed easily in our MS 34 HT w thrusters.
No bridge...lower helm...w helm door...locks & docks pretty easy and less sail area.
More comfy living area and would handle great lakes better than a 25 footer.
That said I've met a guy from Colorade that single handled a C Dory for most of the loop single handed.
Id say...depends on whether you are OK tent camping or prefer more space & comforts... and budget allows... more space better.
Would the DW join you for a few stretches? Might make a difference?

Last edited:
Gee, boating without a companion doesn't sound attractive to me. Hope your constitution is better suited, forgetting that single-handed issue which is surmountable.

MP

"forgetting that single-handed issue which is surmountable.". Your a punny guy. :)

Hello All...a little bit of background. 53 years old and planning on retiring at 62. Have had many small boats, currently a 24 center console. Wife and kids love the boat. I have aspirations to do the loop when I retire. I love taking trips on our current boat, but they are "hotel trips"...ie cruise somewhere for 3 or 4 hours and get a hotel. Here is my dilema, wife has no desire to do the loop with me so I am strongly considering single handing it. Question is, the boat. Im looking at Roseborough's and Ranger Tugs and C-Dory. I know you can do the loop in anything that floats, but Im trying to be realistic. Will I be comfortable single handing and existing on a Roseborough/Ranger for the loop or should I go bigger? Im worried I wont be able to handle much bigger but I dont want to make a 100k mistake. Thanks in advance!

There is a fella on youtube that single handles his C-Dory doing some of the loop. I cannot remember his name. May be if you can find his channel it will give you some insight.

Cheers.

H.

I would have to say, having done 1/4 of the loop (backwards) from Sandusky Ohio to NY city, My wife absolutely loved the canal, locking, the scenery and the trip. The long ocean voyages she doesn't care for.

So, inputting this, your choice of a rosborough is a great choice. They come in a variety of engine packages, do great speed wise (when you can use the speed) and have a vee berth or bunks down below. Most have the up galley, stove, hot plate. Seems like a great way to have a trailerable nimble trawler/ day tripper.

As mentioned you will have to spend MANY days weather delayed. But on the good days you'll be flying along.

As a side idea, you could invite the Mrs along for the scenic parts that she may enjoy. No nonsense of 'finding a girlfriend'............

Back
Top Bottom