View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #17
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
If it were me, I would bite the bullet for heated winter storage as a one time cost. If you were wintering year after year in the same area, developing the procedures to winterizing the boat, engines, generator, heads, freshwater system, and everything I've forgotten is worth it in long-term savings. Since you don't live there, if there were to be a problem, you're kind of at the mercy of the local yard. Then there's the issue of the lost time fixing whatever froze /broke. On a trip like this, time is everything. Heated storage, followed by a few days of prep in the spring, is the way to go.

Ted
I agree with you and there is heated winter storage available along the way. I'd just be sure to schedule it well in advance to be sure to get it. I think of the Sandusky area as an excellent place to store. Plenty of yards and equipment to handle a decent sized boat. I know HOTY, which owns several of the major marinas there offers it, as does Craft and as does Sandusky Harbor. It's a great area to stop with a lot to do there and easy flying in and out of Cleveland.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote