View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
My boat is in FL and planning on the loop over 2 years, leaving it "somewhere up north" in the winter of 2018/19. I don't know where.

The quotes I've been getting are pretty brutal, ranging up over $4K to $6K, but for a heated storage. If outside and wrapped would work in the $2 or $3 range, that would probably work.

I've actually thought of spending the first summer in the Chesapeake area and back tracking to warmer water for the winter where a freeze is unlikely, but not sure about that.

For $6K I'd just consider doing the loop in one year, and perhaps going back up part way to visit the east coast and Chesapeake area later.

Part of the problem is I have some other activities that will take 5 or 6 weeks out of my summer next year, which makes a dent in the loop traveling.

I hate cold. Sold my Wisconsin operation and glad to be rid of it.
Our decisions had nothing to do with the cost of winter storage. We just had no desire to go through it. We chose to do the East Coast at a different time than the loop. That way you can see the entire coast and enjoy. I'd either do it the year before or year after.

Then the year of the loop, I'd want to start on the Erie when they open it and have from May through August/September to spend between there and Chicago. Then you can come down from there and be fine the rest of the way. We stopped on the TN River and kept the boat there, but the TN Tom and the Gulf Coast could just as easily have been done by us.

You have all the time in the world to explore the east coast and to explore the SE, Bahamas, and Gulf Coast. It's from NYC to Chicago that is time sensitive. We moved from FL to NYC in April.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote