Potomac to DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigpoppop

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Long Time Dead
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 55
Hello everyone- we are considering taking our Trawler up the Potomac to visit D.C. Alternatively we'd park the boat in Chesapeake and drive to D.C. To see the sights there. I've spoken to some boaters who'd never make the trip (up Potomac) and others who say it's worthwhile.

I welcome any thoughts or opinions- thanks!

Jeff

We made it three or four years ago and it was a worthwhile trip other than being chased out of the channel by the guard boats for the weapon testing facility north of Colonial Beach. It seems they are in the habit of testing shells by shooting them down the Potomac River.

This happened to me both heading to DC and from DC and was a PITA.

We stayed at the Capitol Yacht Club and had a great time. Check before you go because the area was being "revitalized" at the time.

Also, be aware that you can't just go up the Washington Monument, you have to show up early in the morning and reserve a time.

It's 90 miles or so so figure how long it will take to get there and back.

Wonderful trip and I'd definitely recommend it. Beauty along the way and you just get a special feeling approaching DC by water on the ever famed Potomac. I'd rather spend the night on my boat than in any DC hotel as well. We docked at Capital Yacht Club as well, but there some other marinas worth considering depending on state of construction work on them all. Yards Marina seems especially attractive. Washington Marina, next to Capital Yacht Club, has pluses and minuses so one needs to do homework and see if it appeals. James Creek is also worth considering.

Did that trip and LOVED it. Spent 10 days seeing the monuments and museums. All accessible by bicycle.

We made this trip a few years ago. Scenic and beautiful. Funny, I was born in DC and lived in the area. Took my boat and I was a tourist in my own town. Also stayed at Capital Yacht Club and had a positive experience.

DITTO on Capital Yacht Club. Wharf project should be close to being done.

Terrific ride up to Potomac River - enjoy the view - no real navigational issues.

DITTO - Take your bikes!!!!

Have fun!!!

We anchored out in the Washington Channel & you can use the Yacht Club facilities & wi-fi for a minimal daily charge. Stayed several days & used our "clown bikes" to ride all around the area. Be aware, however, that the channel comprises the flight path for White House helicopters & they fly low - very low - low enough to wave as they go by...

Don't miss Mt. Vernon on the Potomac. We anchored & dinghied ashore to visit it. Coming in the "back door," we never got to the ticket window and had access to the whole area.

Last edited:
I've heard that anchoring in Washington Creek (Channel) is no longer permitted. I would check it out with the D.C. Marine Police.

I've heard that anchoring in Washington Creek (Channel) is no longer permitted. I would check it out with the D.C. Marine Police.

I didn't mention Gangplank earlier. They have mooring also. Then the old anchorage has been moved and there's now one to the south of all the docks and marinas there. I haven't been there recently so just going by what I've heard.

Washington DC has a law saying that anyone operating a boat must have proof of attending a safe boating course, even if you are not required to have one in your home state.

You may be exempt from this requirement in your home state because of your age, but you must have it in Washington DC waters. That starts when you go under the Wilson Bridge.

We just did the Potomac a few weeks ago. Great trip!
Stayed at the Gangplank Marina. Less than a 1/2 mile to the METRO.

Is Gangplank back and fully operational? Or are the still rebuilding?

There's apparently a new marina near the Nationals ball park; dunno details.

Might be Metro access from near the National Harbor (marina)... don't know that for sure either...

-Chris

Is Gangplank back and fully operational? Or are the still rebuilding?

There's apparently a new marina near the Nationals ball park; dunno details.

Might be Metro access from near the National Harbor (marina)... don't know that for sure either...

-Chris

Prior to arriving, I had heard they were rebuilding. I didn't notice anything new. What was there was older, but fully functional. Their bathrooms/showers were newer and very clean.

The new marina you may be thinking about is Yards Park. Very nice docks and area. I didn't see any facilities, but lots of restaurants and a close grocery store(Harris Teeter).

Back
Top Bottom