Fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pbud

We are thinking of purchasing a trawler but would really like to fish. Can anyone recommend a trawler that goes more than 7 - 10 knots.
Thanks,
Pbud

Welcome to the forum! Trawler is a general term. There are a number of boats that will meet your needs. Many owners here fish off their boats.

Ted

Longer boats have a higher hull speed and go faster easier. So do twin engines. My 83' easily goes 10kts using about 2/3 the hp of my engines. About 300hp.

Can you describe the type of fishing you are referring to ie trolling, deep dropping

We are thinking of purchasing a trawler but would really like to fish. Can anyone recommend a trawler that goes more than 7 - 10 knots.
Thanks,
Pbud

You do realize that TRUE trawlers are fishing boats right?
7 to 10 knots is the speed they do.
Ours was a commercial fishing vessel before being modified to her current configeration.

Up here we fish for salmon, so the boat needs to go slow, not fast. If you troll over 3 knots, you are too fast. King salmon like really slow, silvers up to 3 knots. Lots of faster boats can't get down to trolling speeds for salmon.

Up here we fish for salmon, so the boat needs to go slow, not fast. If you troll over 3 knots, you are too fast. King salmon like really slow, silvers up to 3 knots. Lots of faster boats can't get down to trolling speeds for salmon.

And under 10 knots is the speed for pelagics like wahoo, kingies, spaniards,trevally, sailfish, marlin, mahi mahi etc.
We have overtaken offshore game boats trolling when we were doing 7.5 knots and over the years we have caught many hundreds of fish in that 5 to 8 knot speed range.

I commercial fished salmon and tuna. 2-3kts for salmon and about 6 for tuna. Bottom fish slow. too.

Thanks,
Pbud

What's your budget?
Lots of used Mainships can cruise there without breaking the bank.

OP. Perhaps if you specified a size range for your boat and budget you'd get some recomendations that will be more useful. How big is your crew?, will you be doing day trips or lengthy multi-week crusing? What kind of fishing you like, etc. Folks here are both helpful and knowledgable. They more they know what you're looking for, the more of both they can be.

Thanks,
Pbud

Everyone is assuming you want to troll faster. I'm guessing you want the speed to get to the prime fishing areas faster, do more day or weekend fishing. What kind of fishing? Where?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom