Keeping Track of Inventory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've learned a lot from this forum over the years, but this is one of the best threads I've ever read. This year, we are finally starting to spend some extended time on the boat and I've been pondering this same subject.

I agree Excel is the easiest to setup and will require the least time imputing data to keep it current. I've used it for my maintenance records and fuel log for years. I've just downloaded the new MS suite for the iPad and it seems to be working fine. This now makes keeping my records even easier, especially if you're using cloud storage. I used to keep written notes until I turned on the computer and invariably something would not get entered into the computer. Not that I can update it on the iPad, I'm more inclined to do it right away.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts, this is the forum at its best!!!

What app do you use?

We use one that is overkill for most here, it's a comprehensive management software. Now for most I'd probably recommend just any inventory software. But then Excel is excellent for the purpose too.

On the more comprehensive side there are various products aimed at larger boats and fleet management. I believe someone mentioned Vessel Vanguard. Deep Blue and Manage My Vessel are two complete packages. We use Idea.

Now back to a basic package like a Quickbooks or Inflow, Inventoria, iMagic, Inventory Tracker, Inventory Organizer and more. Most of them can be installed on your main computer and then accessed with laptops and tablets from anywhere on board.

Why do we like to access by tablet? Where the product is. You're in the engine room, check and enter right there. Galley. Hidden storage areas. Now, one might think tablets are extremely expensive when you see nearly $1000 iPads. But there are tablets that are excellent for this purpose for under $200. Most of these software combos have Android and iPad components. If you want to just use a basic spreadsheet, might try google's. Or go to a Windows Tablet and be able to interact with your computer. Also most of these do have free trials so you can play around a bit and see.

Don't over complicate things or you'll not use it. Guess what we're saying is do as we say, not as we do.

Also for those of you preferring Excel. You don't have to necessarily design your own. There are many templates of inventory systems already included with your software and many more online. Some are simple lists, some for parts or equipment, and some full perpetual inventory systems so you can keep good detail not just on the on-hand quantities but the purchases and usage.

Last edited:
I've had this in my favorites for quite sometime. Will say I have never used it but check it out and see if it might work for you Oso Software - Cruising Software for Everyone
I believe it's freeware.

It appears to be a very simple, but functional database. Their Vessel Log is free but their Yacht Manager is $49.95. However, it has a free 45 day trial and then the price is a one time charge. I would certainly recommend checking it out. Even if you don't decide to buy it, it can give you some great ideas for your own system. In addition to the Inventory section it has many other features such as maintenance logs and trip logs and even planning logs which might be of interest. But the Vessel Log contains the Inventory section and for free is an excellent price.

I had seen this but totally forgotten about it until you pointed it out.

Thanks for all the advice. I looked at the Oso website and will download the Vessel Log trial version. At the very least, I will get some ideas, but it may be exactly what the doctor ordered!

We have 10 fleets like this. We use laptop for navigation and low lux camera for monitoring engine room and other places. So boat monitoring is simple. And for inventory management and monitoring we took services from online bookkeeping services. They keep track all our data and give us invoices anytime we need.

I use an 'N +1' inventory model, meaning most items I have 2 of everything. I pull the parts from my inventory and replace with the newly purchased parts. (All parts are dated with date of purchase and rotated FIFO).

I pull from inventory, leaving one spare remaining, then add it to the list of parts to be bought. This means the only list I need is the 'shopping/ordering list' and does away with a need for an inventory.

I know where I store stuff, so the Where isn't a big deal.

The only time we kept a food inventory (more like a shopping list) was when we provisioned the boat for a 6 month trip. On the other hand I did keep a detailed list of spares and replacement parts, and their locations. Also, whenever I purchased a part, I kept a record of the part number (not always obvious when sourcing replacements), where purchased and price paid. That information saved a lot of time and effort next time around. All was easily accomplished with an Excel spreadsheet. No need for fancy software.

I use "ERRANDS" app on my iPhone. Venders, part numbers, details on part change out. Has alerts that can't be super customized. Of all the apps, I use this one ten times more than the rest combine.

"Any ideas and suggestions appreciated."

Creating and keeping up an inventory is a huge , never ending task.

We simply store like items together, in a single location.

Engine parts , one drawer of a file cabinet, water pumps , bilge pumps , a milk crate ,
lights , bulbs electrical stuff , another milk crate.

Simple to go to the storage , look thru it and know what is available .

But ours is a simple boat .

Last edited:
I use an iOS app called ShipShape. It resides on the device so no internet connection is needed. It has a pretty robust inventory feature, with customizable lists by location (forward berth, ER, etc). Also customizable checklists for both work projects and procedure reminders (things not to forget when starting up, leaving the dock, leaving the boat, etc.). Maintenance schedules and costs can all be tracked and it has a trip log. Nice and compact and very intuitive to use.

I found the most useful aspect of keeping an inventory list was identifying and keeping track of part numbers, suppliers and prices paid. I sort of knew what I had "in stock" and generally where it was. but the system made re-ordering a breeze.

Funny, I never noticed this was a resurrected thread from 3 years ago. I saw the last posts, then went to the beginning, but never looked at the dates.

I guess it's a timeless topic, because it seems to have regained momentum.

I use an iOS app called ShipShape. It resides on the device so no internet connection is needed. It has a pretty robust inventory feature, with customizable lists by location (forward berth, ER, etc). Also customizable checklists for both work projects and procedure reminders (things not to forget when starting up, leaving the dock, leaving the boat, etc.). Maintenance schedules and costs can all be tracked and it has a trip log. Nice and compact and very intuitive to use.

It looks not to bad. But how do you do backups? Do you simply have the app on multiple devices, and can that be done with just one licence? I'd prefer something that would reside on my MacBook, which does get backed up regularly.

I guess it's a timeless topic, because it seems to have regained momentum.

I'm glad it did...When we bought our 30 year old boat about 5 months ago I was give a big bin of documents. Receipts, work orders, oil analysis, manuals, etc. Many of them important, at least to me. The tranny coolers I was told were replaced 3 years ago, weren't. They were pressure tested and cleaned only. They are many years older. My generator has had poor oil analysis since 1995. No surprises and less worries when I got yet another one back. Wouldn't it be good to go through and record all of this info if only for posterity sake? I started searching for software to record the history as well as current events, upcoming maintenance schedule, etc. Quickly found the big ones, the "Yacht/Fleet Management" software, too expensive for my needs both initially and ongoing. Nice but...I don't need it. To me any cost beyond maybe the fee for an app or a one time $39.95 charge for more robust software would be a waste.

I looked at some apps and a few software program but nothing really got me. I haven't tried ShipShape pointed out above but I will. Sure wish I could find something. Right now I have the basics down in an Excel workbook. Different tab for each subject i.e. port engine, starboard, generator, repairs, hours log. It works but there has to be a more user friendly database solution that gives me easy search and lists, etc. I haven't gone back in history with my bin of documents yet. The last thing I want is to enter them twice. My "want's are:

1. All the basic info on the boat. Equipment part numbers, serial numbers etc.
2. Hours/trip log
3. Inventories. What, where and how many. Preferably broken into categories and searchable. Do I have a XYZ? It brings it up and tells me. What is in the blue bin by the port engine? It brings up everything in the bin.
4. Maintenance records including suggested hours/time between service as well as what I have coming up. "Oil change due in 25 more hours". At least be able to look ahead and see it is coming.
5. Repair records. What when where and why, cost.
6. Contacts. Much like any other contact list.

I guess I just described what pretty much everyone wants or needs!

Last edited:
I need to find a better way to keep track of everything (especially consumables and spares) on board, ie what I have and where I have it. Ideally, I will find some well thought out software, but worst case I will develop some kind of excel spreadsheet, maybe in some kind of sortable matrix format, with columns being storage spaces and rows being the stuff. I will need categories and subcategories.

Even after it's set up, I will need to find a way to keep it up to date and accurate.

Any ideas and suggestions appreciated.

Aw Jeeezzz, I'm so busy fixing stuff, who should have the time to keep track of the crap I'm using just to get her going again.

"If you ain't using it, it dont break".

Cheers, Crusty

It looks not to bad. But how do you do backups? Do you simply have the app on multiple devices, and can that be done with just one licence? I'd prefer something that would reside on my MacBook, which does get backed up regularly.

You can back up and share on multiple devices using Drop Box--something I badly need to do.

Back
Top Bottom