Need Teak Handrail...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

The boat we're looking at has a SS bow pulpit with sailboat stanchions and lifelines down both sides, nothing on the stern. I'm thinking I'd want the teak handrail that the boats came with. How hard is that going to be? Anyone have a good starting point for materials? Thanks.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1087(2).jpg
    IMG_1087(2).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Id go with stainless, why add to your maintenance burden?

I have teak handrails and second stainless! Works better when tying fenders, low maintenance etc.

The boat already has stainless. The man wants teak!

No, he has wire handrails, not teak or stainless. I would also go with stainless, but that is my personal preference. S/S would be easy to have fabricated. I had all new rails fabricated for a 46' trawler that I used to own. Did 1.25" rails and they were really strong.

I WOOD recommend SS railings. I have wood and they are a lot of work to keep varnished. Actually they are just part of it but add to the job.

However if you want wood decide if you want the typical oval type railings or would be happy with flat, rectangular lumber type rails. I have the latter and they look darn good when in good shape. I don't miss, never had, the oval type.

If the flat lumber will be acceptable then many shops can fabricate them. Just depends upon how elaborate you want them. Maybe you could even do your own.

Mine do follow the bow curve right to the pointy end and there are several joints which I don't think I would tackle as the fit is perfect. [t'was a Good carpenter] . The varnish also keeps those joint tight.

Many trawlers joined the wood to the SS bow rail at some point so a landing pad could be welded to your existing bow rail. WOuld simplify the process as cutting those curves would use a lot of wood and be expensive, especially in oval.

There are boat woodworkers in many areas. You are near some or should be. Also Anacortes and Port Townsend. There WAS a G.B. specialty repair yard near you, don't know the name. Ask around and maybe they could help/guide you for both types of rails and the stanchion fabricators as they would have dealt with oval for sure and I'll bet flat.

Last edited:
You can get oval stainless rails too. Just sayin'

Hi All,

After walking around the marina, we noticed that there were more than just a couple trawlers (newer ones) that have a stainless rail on top, but have a life line half way down. I think I can salvage what I have by just cutting off the ring on top of the stanchions and build a top rail, leave the middle life line alone. Wife is good with the idea. I like some of your comments about upkeep. As you can see in the photo... I have enough wood to care for. Thanks for the ideas.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom