Dinghy - What type?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's the madda wid your attention span Walt.....I wanna see more dinks.
biggrin.gif

nomadwilly wrote:
What's the madda wid your attention span Walt.....I wanna see more dinks.
biggrin.gif
"Nothing's the madda with my attention span or my ability to use the "search function."

Carey's right! This subject has been covered a million times! Use the search button before asking the same questions. The results will be: (1) Immediate answers to your questions & (2) not boring the rest of us with redundantcy! (Is that a word?)

There's a virtual wealth of info in the search files.

SeaHorse II wrote:
...Carey's right! This subject has been covered a million times! Use the search button before asking the same questions. The results will be: (1) Immediate answers to your questions & (2) not boring the rest of us with redundantcy! (Is that a word?)....
*I guess there really is no need for this or any other forum.*We can all just read a lot of books and buy a bunch of videos. Maybe even get a job at a marina and interview dinghy owners.

Up until now, I didn't realize how much trouble it is for some people to answer a question, even if they didn't answer the question specifically asked. If I objected to some posts, I would just simply not respond to it. But, that's just me.

As for your lame statement "not boring the rest of us with redundantcy!'. Well if you had such an exciting life, you wouldn't be spending time on here chastising someone for boring you. Your time might be better spent using a dictionary.

I'm sure there are forums on spelling, but make sure you use the search button first.

Oh, one more thing... I really hope you don't take this wrong.

Regards

Tony B

Tony B wrote:
Oh, one more thing... I really hope you don't take this wrong.
***** :biggrin: * Touche! Point made and taken under advisement. :handshake:

To account for the spelling challenged among us, I'd search "dinghy" AND "dingy". (I still have a problem with which is right!) You'll get better results.

TonyB

I think we could all see ourselves a little in your response* One of the big differences here is when Walt (Seahorse II) says shake on it,*he means it.* Sometime we all have a little coming, but no one really means harm.

Yeah, we have had threads on dinghys.* We will probably have many more.* They are such an important part of cruising.* Twin screw or single?* Trawler or Cruiser? Inflatable or hard shell?* These are almost unanswerable questions.* However, as you see we can gather info to make an informed decision.* Glad to have you aboard, and I think Walt is too.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 21st of August 2011 06:21:59 PM

FlyWright,

I don't think there's any doubt. Little shore boats are dinghys and dingy is reserved for bars and other dark places.*

Tony,

Walt's always been of a mind to jump in there, solve the problem and move on to something else. Dosn't like to kick the can down the road much less back and forth. I'm kinda the opposite. When I was little sometimes I'd be late to school because of all the interesting things I'd find along the way. J type personalities like to have things decided and P types would rather be undecided. A J type girl on a date wants to know everything and that plans have been made and things are settled. A P type on a date would want all things undecided thinking of how exciting it's going to be to see what happens. Frustration isn't good and it's too bad Walt gets frustrated but I don't think he looses any sleep over long winded posts. I only read about 30% of TF posts. Just not interested in the rest. And I go for long periods of time not entering OTDE. At one time it was because I got frustrated by ancora's language and other, what I thought were negative serious rantings. I still don't go there often but I do go there and enjoy the conversation at times. BUT I can choose not to. So if I (and others) want to I'll go on for days about design or anchors and if Walt's going to get steamed about it that's too bad. Walt and I have been friends now for 4 years and I expect that to continue but we come here to post and I think that's what we should do. Get a grip *......that's all we do. So lets do it. My speller says "no misspellings found". I can't believe I could type a paragraph this long and not misspell SOMETHING.

nomadwilly wrote:
.....*J type personalities like to have things decided... P types would rather be undecided. A J type girl on a date wants*.... A P type on a date would want .....
*Willy,what the hell have you been smoking and do you have any left?* *
eyepopping.gif

-- Edited by Tony B on Sunday 21st of August 2011 06:34:28 PM

healhustler wrote:
Came across an ad about these in one of my boat mags. Anybody got one of these?

http://rigidboats.com/main.html
*Yes, I bought mine when they were Boss Boats. Pretty cool concept, except the lockers are not weather proof. Even with extra weatherstripping etc. Rain still finds it's way in. Other than that they are nice. Mine's for sale, any takers? Good Yamaha 25HP 2 stroke attached!

Tony,

Yea I got some more but you'll have to get your own. A book titled Please Understand Me by David*Keirsey. Very interesting. There's another called Type Watching that addresses personality differences in the work place, in family and romance and marriage too. Very interesting. It helps me accept weird dudes and ...well ...understanding others. Knowing the personality types and how they interact seem to make me more accepting of others. It's especially good for people that are naturally critical .......like me.

Health and Kieth,

Why would anybody want one ......it's not soft and cuddly like a*duckie. But it does weighless than the frog boat. But still 300 lbs. A*proper*10' boat should weigh 125lbs + or -. Aft end of the "tubes" should'nt be rounded .....will tend to pull the stern down.

"Aft end should'nt be rounded .....will tend to pull the stern down."

Sorry but I like a nice rounded aft end.
biggrin.gif

Tony B, the search button will help. But there is nothing really wrong with you posting this question. As you can see, there is already some good info on here. And like somebody said, the question as it relates to you is "unansweable". It all just depends on what and how you want to use it. If you are going cruising, I would say as big and fast as you can handle. All these people recommending small cute boats with 2hp motors on them are using them for toys...and not as their "conduit to the landside life". Don't get me wrong, dinghies are fun but if fun is the only reason you get one, then get a little cutesy shiny little boat loaded with brightwork and a sailing rig. But if you need it to WORK for you, then get the toughest biggest fastest one you can handle transporting on your boat and be done with it.

Just me .02

"get the toughest biggest fastest one you can handle "

I was going to say something...but...err...well...never mind.

Youth was a wonderful thing.

Baker wrote:
If you are going cruising, I would say as big and fast as you can handle.
I think this is a very astute recommendation on John's part.* We use a small, low-power dinghy (Livingston 9' w/ 4-hp motor) because we want to keep the weight on our 38-year-old teak-strip swimstep as low as possible, not because we think small, light, low-powered dinghies are a good idea.* Particularly for this area where the desire or need to run long distances through often-choppy water is not uncommon.

This is our primary attraction to the Bullfrog, as with a 15hp motor and its high floatation it provides the ability to go fast and far in rough water without the finite life and damage potential of a fabric boat.* An even larger boat would be even better.* In fact we'd love to be able to take our 90-hp, 30-mph 17' Arima with us when we go cruising in the GB but it's way heavy to hang on a towline in rough water and not the sort of boat you can run up onto a rocky shore and so forth.

But unless you have very specific reasons or restrictions for having a small, low-powered dinghy I believe that if you have a small, slow dinghy there will be many occasions when you wish you had a larger, faster one, but if you have a larger, faster one you will never wish you had a smaller, slower one :)

The search function on forums like this are a valuable and under-used asset, and I believe they are worth perusing if one has a question.* But I don't think they preclude the asking of questions, even oft-discussed ones.* For one thing, you are likely to hear from people newer to the forum whose comments are not in the archives.* And comments in the archives may not apply to your specific situation.

Tony B wrote:nomadwilly wrote:
.....*J type personalities like to have things decided... P types would rather be undecided. A J type girl on a date wants*.... A P type on a date would want .....
*Willy,what the hell have you been smoking and do you have any left?* *
eyepopping.gif

-- Edited by Tony B on Sunday 21st of August 2011 06:34:28 PM

*I think J type girls are just looking for guys with lots of P-ness...

New Concept, KISS principle & cheap

The search function on forums like this are a valuable and under-used asset, and I believe they are worth perusing if one has a question.* But I don't think they preclude the asking of questions, even oft-discussed ones.* For one thing, you are likely to hear from people newer to the forum whose comments are not in the archives.* And comments in the archives may not apply to your specific situation.
I normally like to use the search function on a forum before making a posting on a subject, as there may have already been a posting similar to what I had in mind, and/or there are already a whole host of folks participating in the subject at hand (larger audience).

I was attracted to this particular subject thread by two things:
1) the excellent contributions by Marin such as #23 & #30.
2) the particular reference to the Bullfrog vessels.

That bullfrog tender sure looks like a very nice unit. But it also looks like a lot of man-hours to produce. I imagine the pricing on these is not cheap? (I have yet to find the pricing?)

Meanwhile I was attracted to these 'catamaran style' vessels. I wrote on another forum:
I personally like these little catamaran RIBs
Inflatable catamaran - New Takacat 460 Explorer - YouTube

Inflatable boat - www.takacat.com - YouTube

Could be toned down to make a nice stable yacht tender.

And I have a few ideas on building something like this relatively cheap and easy with PP honeycomb floor and solid foam tubes in place of inflatable ones.
Woops, ran out of time, got to go paint a fence (shades of Tom Sawyer). If I could only recruit a passerby :ermm::whistling:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom