View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #20
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwilliams11741 View Post
but remember a magazine article from about 10 years ago showing how an older couple had set up their boat with aids that helped them get around as well as do normal maintenance. Freedom now has lots of extra grab handles, a gas filled lift for the engine room hatch, rigged up a rolling seat for the engine room, found a great pair of gel filled knee pads which I found to be truly a gift from God, and found that an easy reach grab tool from Home Depot is a wonderful thing, especially when your wrench falls under one of the engines. I also hire out more often for regular maintenance or where repair work requires what I would call "boat yoga".

Just do it!
Now, don't you wish you'd gotten all those aids 10 years ago? Over the years, I've learned that making things "handicapped accessible" and easier for elderly is nice for all of us. Funny, when one checks a house for that purpose, extra handles always go in the bathroom, but a lot of healthy people might avoid issues if handles were there. Put a handicapped restroom in a public place and it will be everyone's favorite. Things like knee pads. I've always used knee pads for anything putting knees on hard surface, started with using the ones I wore playing basketball. Gas lift hatch is one you wish you'd always had.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote