What size accumulator tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sagdito

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Vivante
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 36
Hi Guys need to install accumulator tank to stop water pump from rapid cycling.
Any ideas on size needed have 40psi Jabsco pump with 5 outlets, the standard tanks seem to be about 1ltr but not sure if a larger would be better, allowing more draw off before pump comes on.
What do you have.
Thanks Phil.

A gallon size is pretty common/standard, the bigger it is the less frequently your pump will cycle. Get it at an irrigation store for about 1/4 of what you will pay for an identical Groco or marine unit.

True...a gallon seems to take care of it. I found this rather hi-buck SS unit in a local Marine Surplus, but after having two others rust out in short order, I was glad to pay the extra. It also had handy integral SS mountings beneath and on top for the water pump.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 96
Air bladder accumulator tanks are cheap and water pumps are expensive. Cycling shortens a motor's life and burns more electricity. On my previous boat with 2 heads plus galley, I installed a small 15 gallon-ish tank. Just goto Home Depot/Lowes/Tractor Supply etc. and pick one up.

I have used a 1 gallon accumulator for years and it has done all I asked of it.
Mine is a Groco, over 25 yrs old, but as pointed out they are also available from large building supplies, plumbing supplies. I suspect you do not need anything larger.

15 gallons!? Your pump must run for 15 minutes to pressurize that thing. Are you sure you dont mean litres?

I have a 1.5 gallon tank. It works well with my Groco Paragon Senior pump. 9 water outlets @40PSI. Bought it at Lowes for 39 bucks, Groco replacement was like 250, but defender has them for 174 bucks!!

Thanks guys installed a 5litre tank today and all working fine, can now fill the kettle without the pump coming on.
Cheers

"15 gallons!? Your pump must run for 15 minutes to pressurize that thing."

Even the cheap pumps do 3 -4 GPM and run time is cheaper in electric than start-stop operation.

One area where "bigger is better" is actually true.

"15 gallons!? Your pump must run for 15 minutes to pressurize that thing."

Yes gallons. My waterpump was a nightmare and I hated it. Always losing prime, leaking, old and worn out. However the existing tank was shot and leaking so it needed to be replaced first.

I've always followed the same philosophy with my ranches that I've built. Well pumps at 600+ feet and then a surface high pressure pump at 125 psi, all feeding 250 gallon (2X125 gallon) bladder accumulator tanks, then a PRV dropping it to 50psi to feed the house. Those are expensive pumps to run and very inconvenient when you lose water (no redundancy) so you do everything possible to eliminate cycling.

I suppose we all have our own way of doing things, and mine has always been to avoid like the plague the "yacht" stores like West Marine. Anything needed was through commercial fishery chandlers, Home Depot, industrial supply houses, etc. It's amazing how much more expensive things are for the marine industry. (thread drift :angel:)

Back
Top Bottom