New Decks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chb europa

Hi all,

I thought I would share a few photos and a little info on the back deck we have replaced on our 34 CHB trawler. We had previously completed the fore deck, but after a brief hiatus we are now onto the back and side decks! Please note, we are not professionals, just two people trying to bring a dream to reality :)

These four photos show the basic process we used to replace the wood core with divinicell. After the wet wood core is removed and cleaned out from under the flanged area a four inch wide strip of divinicell foam was installed around the periphery of the deck. First priming with resin and then gluing with core bond, we made sure all the voids underneath the flange were filled with foam or core bond. Once that has cured we fit and installed the large panels to fill in the balance, priming with resin and this time using a toothed trowel to spread the core bond. After this cured, we left it for a couple days, we shaped the foam with a belt sander to achieve the proper shape for the aft deck. The flange was then ground down to fresh glass and any minor depressions were filled with a mixture of resin and 1/4 chop strand. Once this has all cured we ground/sanded the surface flat and filled any left over depressions with the ''mishmash'' mixture of resin and 1/4 chop strand.
This week we will lay chop strand mat, 2 layers of 1708 roving and a final layer of chop strand mat. Sand/grind flat, fill, sand some more, probably fill again and sand some more. We also made sure that we supported the underside of the deck to help keep the proper shape.
All in all we are very pleased with the results we are achieving. Once primed and painted it will be like new. Even without the glass top being layed, the deck is way firmer than it ever was.
Glass, this week!!

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 90
  • deck 2.jpg
    deck 2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 88
  • deck 3.jpg
    deck 3.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 82
  • deck 4.jpg
    deck 4.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 88
Wow..nice work.. im scared to death I will need to do the same on my ocean alexander some day.. cannot wait to see the final product..keep the pics coming
Hollywood

Incredible work, well done! You can see the crap wood they used for a core and now you are doing it way it should have been done the first time. Did I say well done? Well done!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom