Old 08-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #10
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Voltage tells you more info about your charging system and your battery (me, tossing a rock in the pond, merely to see the reaction!).

Do you have the 5Bs or 6B engines? More info on the pyrometer, please, although due to the total lack of control over mixture, reading it once is probably sufficient until something bakes.
There will be a volt gauge as well. But since I have somewhat of a single bank system, there will only be one. I have 3 tanks so there are 3 gauges(not how it used to be). So 3+1=4 for symmetry sake. I also have a very fancy Magnum inverter/charger with the BMK(Battery Monitoring Kit). So I have a bunch of different data as it relates to my batteries and their health how they are being charged.

They are 6Bs. 6BTAs to be exact. I do not think Cummins ever made a 5B. Cummins nomenclature is 6(cylinders)B(is the actual series)T(turbocharged)A(Aftercooled). So I do not think they ever made a 5 cylinder engine.

The pyro gauge simply reads EGT...Exhaust Gas Temperature. Your assessment is somewhat correct. But there can be a trend to monitor. Under the same conditions you should read the same temperature. It is when that temperature deviates you will know something is up. Maybe you realize a crab trap is going under your boat before you can do anything it wraps around a shaft and binds up. Not so much as to cause any appreciable loss in performance. But you look down and your pyro gauge now reads 200 degrees hotter. You can surmise that yes, something is causing an extra load on that engine and since you saw the crab trap go under, you could also surmise it is wrapped around the shaft....even though everything is running just fine. Remember, Diesel engine governors work on spring pressure and you set that spring pressure with your "throttles". SO nothing will be out of whack except that your governor is adding more fuel to get to your desired power setting. SO with no pyro gauge, you would carry on as "normal" and cause excessive wear until the problem either fixes itself or you fix it or the engine bakes.

Sorry for the long explanation but just trying to give you a practical example. A pyro gauge really is a load gauge. It tells you how hard the engine is working. And as we know from science class, heat=work(or energy or load).
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote