Handheld windlass control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Landshark

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gimme Shelter
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 50A
The Ideal windlass on my Cherubini is controlled by depressing one of two rubber covered foot switches. The system works as intended, but the problem is one cannot look over the handrail and observe the chain or anchor while operating the windlass. It's one or the other, or get another person to stand on the switch(s). So, I thought a handheld windlass control would be a nice solution. I went to Schaefer/Ideal and their web site identified such a handheld controller. It's the HH-12. I inquired about ordering a HH-12 and the reply was $374 plus shipping. Now I don't begrudge an enterprise making a fair profit, but that is outlandish. So, I looked for substitutes.

Imtra, Lewmar and Auto Anchor have handheld controllers available for about $150 plus shipping. Still too expensive.

The I discovered the Warn ATV winch remote control at Summit Racing. It is Warn part number 64849 for $49. A Warn winch does exactly what a windlass goes does but on land. The only difference between the Warn hand held and the Schaefer/Ideal handheld that I can identify is a curly cord.

We've all heard the definition of the acronym BOAT - break out another thousand. Well Schaefer/Ideal is doing their best to make that acronym work for them.

Good find! We had a similar thread recently and someone found a useful remote online for a very reasonable price. There are wireless models, too.

I'm pretty certain the ideal unit is a wireless remote.

No, mbevins, you're wrong about that. The Ideal HH-12 is not wireless. The HHWR is the wireless control. I can only imagine what the HHWR costs if the HH-12 is $374.

Go wireless - cheap

Indeed, those "boat" controls are expensive and unnecessary. Wireless car-type remotes with "validity" operation work just fine. I use one for my dinghy hoist and its small fob just lives conveniently on my motor keychain. For instance, this one:

2-Channel RF Receiver, 11~24 VAC/DC, 315MHz, two relays

will work just fine. Use one channel for the up switch, the other for the down.

These cost about 35 bucks at Amazon. The keyfob will set you back another 20. Just hook them up in parallel with your foot switches and you will be good to go.

Bought a wireless control for a winch on eBay, under $20. Works great.
You may do a search, there was a post on this a while back

You beat me to it FOG!

Here's a link to one like the one I bought a couple of years ago now. Just $12.

It's still going strong. I used it for the entire Down East Loop trip last season, and it was a huge help just the other day, unloading and retrieving all my chain for cleaning - right from on the dock below the bow. It's nice to have two remotes, in case one fails or (more likely) I forget where I left one.

You beat me to it FOG!

Here's a link to one like the one I bought a couple of years ago now. Just $12.

It's still going strong. I used it for the entire Down East Loop trip last season, and it was a huge help just the other day, unloading and retrieving all my chain for cleaning - right from on the dock below the bow. It's nice to have two remotes, in case one fails or (more likely) I forget where I left one.

I ended up buying the same one, so thanks for that post Tom.

I was not able to determine the amperage that the Warn remote,64849, could handle. I note the wires on the receiver for this remote are lightweight compared to the wires on my current Ideal remote.

I was not able to determine the amperage that the Warn remote,64849, could handle. I note the wires on the receiver for this remote are lightweight compared to the wires on my current Ideal remote.

The windlass pulls a lot of current. In every installation I've seen, the wiring from the switch always powers a relay, not the windlass motor itself. Thus the lighter gauge wiring.

In fact, that's the same arrangement as an ATV winch. Which is why those remotes are pretty good for marine use.

One last thing; Also on Amazon there's this $40 version which is specifically made and marketed for the marine environment. It's much prettier, and probably more water-resistant, than the ATV windlass remote I linked to above. I may try it out if my cheap-o version ever dies.

I also just bought a $12 up-neutral-down switch - it even had an anchor logo on it - and wired it from the comtroller. I just pass it up through the bow hatch when needed. To pay more than that is nuts.

Back
Top Bottom