Any Thoughts on This???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Back end of my Westerbeke 7.7 died after salt water leak from heat exchanger sprayed saltwater over back end for quite a while, unbeknownst to me.. I had just rebuilt the front end with new pumps hoses and rebuilt injector pump.. Just curious if anybody has had any experience with one of these.. 100% positive feedback from seller bodes well..

Or if you can think of some other option to consider I'm all ears.. I'm currently unemployed and pretty darn broke, living off SS...

Thanks for your thoughts...

7.5KW ST Generator Head 1 Phase 60Hz-120/240-REFURBISHED!!

Why are you unemployed? Will you be working again? Good luck to you. I hope things improve for you.

My back end on a Westerbeke 8kw was also destroyed when I had a salt water leak in the heat exchanger. I had tried to save a few dollars by having the heat exchanger repaired rather than replaced and it ended up costing $4,000. I tried to have the back end rewound and it failed within minutes of operation.

Ouch...

Solar? I have not run my genset since I installed my panels.

Air conditioning?? Where are you??

I'm in the Florida Keys. Hot and humid...

Canada! Icebergs!

Back end of my Westerbeke 7.7 died after salt water leak from heat exchanger sprayed saltwater over back end for quite a while, unbeknownst to me.. I had just rebuilt the front end with new pumps hoses and rebuilt injector pump.. Just curious if anybody has had any experience with one of these.. 100% positive feedback from seller bodes well..

Or if you can think of some other option to consider I'm all ears.. I'm currently unemployed and pretty darn broke, living off SS...

I feel your pain. My 4.4KW Westerbeke armature shorted. In the process of having the backend pulled and sent off for repair.:banghead: 1983 model-engine still purs like a kitten. Just no juice.

Last edited:

If you are sure the engine is good - $450 for new back end looks like a good buy:thumb::thumb:

Don't buy westerbeke.

My Westerbeke is really a KD3 Misubishia engine and the generater is a Winco. 8KW approx. 1980s, Forgive my spelling-----Rum.

I installed a Ebay 20kw end that looked the same, for a friend on a Perkins. He figured he could buy 2 or more on Ebay for the rebuild cost of the original end. As long as the rpm is right you get 60 cycles. Electrical connections are easy.
I have no idea how long they last. You could price having yours rebuilt.

$1200

Bought rear section from Broward Armature in Lauderdale, working great.

Back
Top Bottom