Krogen 42 - More Deck Drainage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2geer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Stout
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42-087
I have noticed a pattern of water sitting on the deck (port and starboard) at what seems to be a low point between the forward and aft scuffers. See pictures. Has anyone found a better solution to drain this area? Another scuffer perhaps?

We would be grateful for any input on this...

:)

Attachments

• IMG_4533.jpg
    IMG_4533.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_4532.jpg
    IMG_4532.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 197
I'm dealing with the same issue. I have seen on many boats what looks almost like a shower drain in the deck that drains water over the side. Thinking about this when I re-core the side deck this winter.

The PO put some flush deck scuppers on our KK42. They work well.
IMG_2082.JPG

JD -

I would love to see more pics on how it was installed including the outboard drain exit - I assume that how it's drained...

Got to do something with the standing water...

Thanks!

Dave Geer

Dave: I believe the work was done when he removed the teak side and fore decking and replaced the fuel tanks. I'm sure everything would have been easier when the tanks were out. The scupper drain is located 6' foreword of the door jamb. The drain outlet is offset 1' aft of the flushdeck scupper itself. I'm on dock wifi and it's poor and won't let me upload a photo of the drain.

If I recall correctly, he said the tank failed on one side where water travelled through the hole in the deck for the filler port and onto the tank. That seems to be where the water collects on some kk42's.
IMG_2084.JPG

+1 on the shower drain at the lowest point.

1502034856124-1709153063.jpg

Ted

JD -

You mentioned "6' foreword of the door jamb". Which door jamb are you speaking of?

dg

Sorry for the late reply. On intermittent wifi. 6' forward of the "door jamb" into the cockpit from the side decks...if door jamb is the correct terminology in this instance.

These drains work well, although they need to be regularly cleaned of dog hair and other material. The scuppers are still essential for removing most of the water on the decks, from washdown and waves over the bow.

In my opinion, the teak on the side decks on older model kk42's are problematic in the longer term. The compromised teak side decks are the principal reason for failure of the fuel tanks. So if you want to install these drains consider removing the teak first before installation.

Jim

Ok - now I understand - some kk42s (ours) don't have the deck doors between the cockpit and side decks. I am sure when we move south from VT and find ourselves in a swarm of biting insects, we will be seeking the assistance of a good marine carpenter.

I am torn about the teak decks but I agree that they will become a problem if I can't keep them drained and maintained. No evidence at all of tank issues (knock on teak) but this may have been because of the previous owner's tender care and light usage. I am keeping an eye on it however.

Thanks again JD!

dg

Old post, but most relevant, so didn't start a new thread...

This is what I'm considering....

https://www.go2marine.com/product/207971F/perko-flush-mount-drain-use-with-pipe.html
I used two of those drains recently though in a windlass well not to drain a deck. I had stainless extensions ending in hose barbs welded on before installation to make connecting flexible drain hose easier. But if you are removing the old teak (and whether you replace with new glued teak or f/glass non skid) I think it would be best to just fill and fair those low spots out of existence so the decks drain to existing scuppers as they should.

At the moment I'm keeping the teak, and I feel that filling and fairing would be more of a guessing game than putting in a dedicated drain. I can see almost no downside to the drain. It just works, or if plugged gets cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom