Lps3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Anyone have any experience to share about LPS3 for reducing corrosion on electricals and what widespread retailer carries it?

Never heard of it, but I've used Corrosion Block for years with great success. Made for electrical connections, I use it on everything from battery terminals to the electrical distrubution box. Every fuse, light bulb base, etc. gets a coat before being installed. Spray it in the plugs and sockets for shore power cords about quarterly to keep them clean.

I've seen and used their products on a lot of commercial ships. Works well and seems to last. I don't know who supplies it directly, but most things I have found through the internet. jdindustrialsupply.com has it.

I also use Corrosion Block. Whatever I do on the boat, generally I have a can sitting next to me for spritzing anything electrical. I also use it for coating any metal I see corrosion on in the boat. I never heard of the LPS3 stuff.

LPS-3 leaves a slightly greasy or waxy coating. I used it in my shop for metal parts exposed to moisture knowing I'll have to wipe them clean before handling much. While never used CB, I think it would be a better product for electrical protection.

LPS products are very high quality, and found at many locations in the NW. The local hardware store carries the full line. LPS 1 is a dry film lubricant/penetrant, like WD40, but will evaporate over time. Then there is LPS 2, which is a wet film lubricant. LPS 3 is a rust/corrosion inhibitor, very much like Corrosion Block.

Thanks.* I picked up a can of LPS 1 and of*LPS 3 at Ace Hardware today.* They were out of LPS 2.

markpierce wrote:
Anyone have any experience to share about LPS3 for reducing corrosion on electricals and what widespread retailer carries it?
*LPS3 is good protection against corrosion BUT it leaves a waxy residue (which is what protects against the corrosion) and dirt finds and adheres to this like crazy.* On the advice of the dealer from whom we bought our 17' Arima many years ago the first thing we did when we got the boat home was give a heavy coating of LPS3 to every fastener on the boat trailer as well as the springs and hubs.* The dealer said this would go a long way toward preventing rust and corrosion--- however, he said the trailer would soon be pretty unsightly as every fastener, wheel hub, spring, etc . would soon have a heavy black coating of dirt around it.* We continue to coat the trailer fasteners, springs, hubs, etc with LPS3 once a year and it had done a great, if ugly, job for the 24 years we've owned the boat.

That said, I believe there are better products on the market for electrical connections than LPS3.* We use dielectric grease on our shorepower connector contacts, for example.* It should not be applied to the conductive surfaces of the contacts, however.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 22nd of August 2011 12:45:51 PM

Back
Top Bottom