Where to start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Maintenace costs on a low hour diesel are low, repair costs non-existent. "

Nonsense , oil , antifreeze,filters* must be changed on TIME installed , not just on operating hours.

"Most decent engines will outlast their owners, unless ignored. "

And purchasing a used boat , how does one be sure Da Book was followed for each layup period?

A low end trawler diesel might go 5,000 hours - at 250 hours per year typical, that is 20 years.

"A good diesel will last 20,000 to as much as 50,000 hours without major work. "

Only on industrial sourced engines that work almost 24/7.

Major work on a tug or ferry is an engine removal,

an inframe , cylinders,pistons, main and rod bearings , sometimes cam bearings will usually be done 2 or 3X before 50,000 hours for major work (a machine shop) , rebuild is needed.

Once you get to tankers with 96-104 rpm engines , the life of the engine IS longer.

For most cruisers (usually under 200 hp) with an industrial engine (not a marinized farm implement or light truck engine) over 10,000 hours is a result of BOOK maint, and rare.

It is rare for a yachtie to actually wear out an engine , but to KILL an engine is common and easy to do.

Just walk away for a year or two,

-- Edited by FF on Friday 19th of August 2011 04:14:46 AM

http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/boat...-Neville-39-2279589/Oriental/NC/United-States
http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/boats/2011/Seahorse-Coot-682952/Delivered-from/China

Probably hard to justify the custom tug when these two are on the market..

What are the shipping and tax implications of the Seahorse and importing it? Hopefully capital city yachts will be at the Boats afloat show..

At what point will I loose the ability to explore? they all have 5' or more draft. The Neville is beter equipped and 85k less, lower hours, 50k in displacement?!

Nordic 37s and American Tugs are both holding their value really well.

Is there any resource out there that lists sold vs list prices?

Our "plan" is to spend a lot of time as a family cruising, no tv, no Internet and phones for used for emergencies. Call me kooky, but i want my family to be very tight knit. Thankfully even though we both work, we both have jobs that allow longer vacations/weekends. We moved from Colorado a year ago. If web stayed in Colorado, I would not be here, but in an RV forum asking questions.

Badger wrote:
Our "plan" is to spend a lot of time as a family cruising, no tv, no Internet and phones for used for emergencies. Call me kooky, but i want my family to be very tight knit. Thankfully even though we both work, we both have jobs that allow longer vacations/weekends. We moved from Colorado a year ago. If web stayed in Colorado, I would not be here, but in an RV forum asking questions.
Badger - I understand and appreciate*your "family"*cruising plan!* Although we are in early 60's and our kids (mid 30's to early 40's) have families established; they occasionally*come with their kids*to visit on our Tolly where we anchor out and swim, lounge or play with our tow behind speed boat.* When aboard, we still don't*include any*TV or computer and I use cell for conference biz calls, when necessary.* We do bring a good selection of movies to watch at night and games for da grand kids.* You and family should experience grand times aboard.** Visiting locals, as you stay in an area, gives great opp to bicycle with the family to see the area.* Inexpensive, good exercise and great way for a close knit family tour! - Art*

Badger wrote:

We both took a power squadron course this summer and plan on bare chartering a few times before we decide if it is right for us.
If you're in the Puget Sound area and are interested in chartering a boat you might want to check out Northwest Explorations in Bellingham.* They have an impressive fleet of immaculate Grand Banks ranging from 36' to 52', twin and single engine.*

I'm not suggesting a Grand Banks will meet your stated requirements for your own boat--- it probably won't-- but in terms of chartering this company is very good.* Plus they are located close to the prime cruising grounds-- the northern San Juans, BC Gulf Islands, and so on.* However they, like most charter companies, do require a certain degree of experience in similar boats before they will charter a boat.

If you're really zeroing in on the Nordic Tug I believe there is at least one charter company (in Anacortes, I think) who has these in their fleet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom