A piece of history

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Relentless seeking for information relative to my old venerable engine, I found an article from TruckTrend that relate history of Hercules Engines, the base engine for my baby.
In case it is of interest for anybody here is the link:

Hercules Diesel Engine History - Diesel Power Magazine

Quite amazing for me is that is I am understanding this correctly (which I may not) my engine was built in the 50's and is now something like 60 years old and still running, if it is really the truth I am really amazed.

L.

Wasn't the engine in Travis McGee's "Busted Flush" a Hercules diesel???
Pretty sure this is where I learned about these engines...
Bruce

Wasn't the engine in Travis McGee's "Busted Flush" a Hercules diesel???
Pretty sure this is where I learned about these engines...
Bruce

Pardon me for my ignorance but I do not know what is Travis McGee's "Busted Flush" :blush:

L.

Pardon me for my ignorance but I do not know what is Travis McGee's "Busted Flush" :blush:

L.

John MacDonald was the author of one of my favorite series of mysteries. The protagonist of the series was Travis McGee. I am sure that Travis's houseboat had Hercules diesels.
These stories are a great snapshot of the period and a lot of fun to read...
Bruce

Plenty of ancient old and slow diesel engines chugging along out there.

Check out irrigation pumps on Indian farms sometime!

You can still get new units of the original 20's Lister design, came across a guy importing them in MA. ​

Graham Slieker @ Bolton Power Equipment

boltonpowerequip.com

Too heavy for a modern boat though I think.

"Quite amazing for me is that is I am understanding this correctly (which I may not) my engine was built in the 50's and is now something like 60 years old and still running, if it is really the truth I am really amazed."

Loads of WWII Detroits are still operational.

Throwaway society brainwashes youth to think planned obsolescence is normal. 8-(

MY venerable 6 cyl is big, slow, heavy but runs like a charm. Few minor oil leak and a small diesel fuel leak I need to tackle but still really running nicely. I wish I could just have some leaks like that when I will get to the same age :D
I hope I will be able to keep it that way as I love these old diesels.

L.

Lou it was rather interesting .. the history. I was amazed that they used the word "mill" for engine. That takes me WAY back as that was a common expression in the 50's and early 60's. Wonder how that got started?

I don't think I've ever seen a Hercules diesel but the flathead Hercules gas engines were quite common in boats of the day. "Postwar"

Sawmill, grist mill, flour mill, cider mill, sugar mill.

Wind and hydro for thousands of years, then steam (char/coal) then diesel.

I guess it is in reference to engine "rotation"? or maybe that these engines were initially used in agricultural/industrial context?. What is funny though is that in french the term Moulin (french for Mill) is also used to designate an engine so we can say it is an international agreement :)

L.

I suspect John61 nailed it. It's similar to how electricity is called Hydro in much of Canada.

Yes, we're talking thousands of years, if not tens of thousands, any use of such "engines" were stationary.

Only non-milling use there I can think is pumping.

Powering mobile vehicles came only in the most recent couple centuries, starting with steam.

And use of "engine" implies advanced tech, like "difference engine", "search engine".

So "mill" used implies the previous old-school tech. . .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom