R.I.P "barracuda gps plotter"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaston

Guru
Well she finally died (10 yo) on the way home last night so I now need to find a replacement or do I ??. The Barracuda gps plotter was using C maps and I never found the need to use this unit to its full potential so whats a good replacement for inland waters and coastal travel 200km from marina . I'm seriously thinking a 12' iPad and Navtronics will do every thing I need . :confused:

My iPad is better than my plotter. I wish I had bought a second one instead of the plotter I did buy. I'm expecting a long fight over this one.

That'll cost more than a new plotter.
If you want to save dollars get a $100 android tablet and navionics.

That'll cost more than a new plotter.
If you want to save dollars get a $100 android tablet and navionics.

Can you recommend a android tablet to run Navtronics sorry I have only ever owned mac since my Sinclair zx81 :blush:

No real suggestion but most newer GPS tablets will run navionics.

If I had to buy one as a replacement to our Asus, personally I would be buying something chinese and online because you get higher spec for your dollar but you do have to wait for delivery and forget warranty and support.

If buying in a store it would probably be something like this For $98
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/tablets/lenovo/lenovo-tab-3-a7-10-7-tablet/314282/

Or in an 8 inch, my preferred tablet size for double the spend.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/tablets/lenovo/lenovo-yoga-tab3-16gb-8-tablet/956461/

Not saying these are the ones, but in the 5 minutes spent looking, they ticked the box.

This 10 inch Lenovo from office works has less ram than the above models but is probably still better speced than most ipads.
Its also under $200
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/lenovo-tab-2-10-1-tablet-blue-a10-30-syla10tabb

Last edited:
Not to hijack this thread but.........I am just about ready to spring for $500 for a new IPad with GPS to run Nobeltec "Time Zero" as a backup to my old but trusted 182c Garmin. The Garmin is rock solid and works well, can't update the charts any more but I trust the basics on the Garmin and works with my AP. I love the Nobeltec raster charts and thought that the IPad would be a good back up. Thoughts?

Sorry just saw where the original poster was from down under so if my question will not help him I apologize in advance.

Last edited:

My iPad AIR (with GPS) with its Poort enclosure cost me $260 total. (In Craigslist we trust). It's both fixed and portable, a decent combo for a trawler.

dash-300x225-300x225.jpg

O well I got sucked in again by Apple :D picked up a iPad Pro 12.9-inch still $4000 cheaper than the alternative so I tell myself :D

O well I got sucked in again by Apple :D picked up a iPad Pro 12.9-inch still $4000 cheaper than the alternative so I tell myself :D
Dear oh dear
$4000 cheaper? Really?

What's wrong with a seiwa explorer and a 20inch LCD screen?
Cost about $1000

Last edited:
Dear oh dear
$4000 cheaper? Really?

What's wrong with a seiwa explorer and a 20inch LCD screen?
Cost about $1000

Portability we use the chart plotter on the flybridge as well as the helm the Barracuda had a powered foot/ stand where the screen sat the stand had 12v + antenna > I found a company in Sydney that may be able to repair the Barracuda if it is repairable we will leave the iPad on the fly and use it as our music center wi fi to Bose speakers .The iPad was in the toys budget for 2017:D
Barracuda_Dimensions.gif

Oh well, at least you admit to drinking the cool aid and getting sucked into buying an iPad :)

Back
Top Bottom