View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
Humancell
Veteran Member

City: Heber City
Planning my next boating adventure ...

Hello,

I've had the Great Loop on my bucket list for quite some time, and with my son getting closer to completing high school, and moving on to college, I'm now beginning to solidify my plan for my next boat.

I spent quite a bit of time on some friends boats in the Seattle area, and then bought my first "big" boat in the early 1990's - a 63' Monk re-fit that I lived on in Gig Harbor, WA while consulting up there. I spent time cruising from Olympia to the San Juans, while continuing to co-pilot trips on friends boats up into Canada and around Glacier Bay in Alaska. That boat was sold just before I got married in the late 1990's.

During that time I learned about the Great Loop. It's been on my list since.

I've been studying the trip for several years, on and off, but now have a ~3 year plan to get back on the water and explore the Loop. I grew up in Pittsburgh, and have been on the Allegheny, Monongahela, and Ohio ... but never in my own boat. Since I have not yet cruised the Mississippi I'm looking to pick up a boat and begin to learn the ins and outs of river travel over the next couple of years to prepare for a longer journey in three years.

I'm a technologist and have been involved with boat navigation gear and sensors for a long time as a side interest and hobby. I used to be on the NMEA 0183 standards committee and worked with engineers from many of the big marine electronics companies. This is still something I am working with, and hope to develop some new solutions for personal interest.

I look forward to conversations here to learn and share, and hopefully meeting some of you out on the water in the future!

Scott
Humancell is offline   Reply With Quote