Fenders Scratch Gel Coat These Do Not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I used fenders at my dock for awhile, but every time I waxed the boat I noticed how scratched up the boat was were the fender rests. Most boats have a rub rail designed into the hull. So I decided to utilize that design to save the gel coat. With these piling fenders only the rub rail comes in contact with the fender.
IMG_2825.jpgIMG_2826.jpg

Great job Tug. It looks really nice.

Cheers

H

If you are allowed to use tyres cut a flap to attach to the piling, drill/cut a large hole in the bottom for a water drain and paint them with washable vinyl emulsion spring and autumn. a they look neat and tidy and b they don't mark your hull.

Pretty much everything that isnt washed off regularly will wear gel coat if the rubbing is substantial and sustained.

Use fabric fender covers. I didn't like the added expense, but it is completely worth it. My sailboat's hull was just painted last year and the year before. Any fenders without covers eat away the paint. So far, 2 years no issues with my covered ones.

We've used stockinette, its the stuff guys use to polish the cars.
It's on a roll of and its a white soft cotton tube, you just cut off the length you need to cover the fender, sew or use cable ties top and bottom to secure it.
If you want to be posh you can dye it to suit your boats colour scheme.

If your boat rubs vigorously against anything, chances are it may get scratched because of grit that can be hard to see.

Wash fenders, piling covers, fenders covers etc. regularly as even dust blown from the parking lot or a bit of shell from a seagull drop can do in paint or gel coat.

Anything that reduces boat motion or a fender that rolls a little seems to help.

Fender covers work for me. The guy I paid to wax my boat several years ago suggested them and he was right.

Use fabric fender covers. I didn't like the added expense, but it is completely worth it. My sailboat's hull was just painted last year and the year before. Any fenders without covers eat away the paint. So far, 2 years no issues with my covered ones.

What fabric are they made of?
How often do you have to wash them?

My tactic is to not have the fender touch the dock and putting pressure on the hull. Regardless, best to have the fender the same color as the hull.

We've used stockinette, its the stuff guys use to polish the cars.
It's on a roll of and its a white soft cotton tube, you just cut off the length you need to cover the fender, sew or use cable ties top and bottom to secure it.
If you want to be posh you can dye it to suit your boats colour scheme.

Does that stockinette stuff stretch enough to go over a 12" x 34" fender?

You can buy the material in different widths.

Back
Top Bottom