St Lucie inlet or Ft Pierce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Sitting here at GTC with good wifi, trying to plan my trip back to FL. Got a decent weather window from Wednesday to Saturday according to Chris Parker, but wanted to run some ideas off the experts here.

First the inlets-- I have a slip arrange in Stuart, but when I came across to West End I went down to Lake Worth, so I have no knowledge of the St Lucie inlet. From what I read it's difficult possibly. It looks like I can hit it around high tide on Friday or Saturday (6:40-7:25pm) but I cringe trying to negotiate it on a weekend.
I could also cross from West End to Ft Pierce and hit it around high tide, but I would then have to come back down to Stuart on the ICW. What should I do? I have a fear of inlets for some reason. [emoji30]

As for the rest of the itinerary, my plan is to leave GTC to Great Sale tomorrow (about 50 miles), then Great Sale to West End marina Thursday and cross Friday early am during the day. Or maybe anchor out at Mangrove Cay Thursday night and leave like 4 am and cross the banks at Memory Rock (that's how I came over so I have a bread crumb trail).

Ideas? I'm new at this so always need suggestions.

Last edited:
St Lucie Inlet is pretty straightforward, I would not hesitate to enter for the first time if it was in daylight, not so much any new to me inlet after dark.
What's your draft?

:socool:

St Lucie inlet. From what I read it's difficult possibly. It looks like I can hit it around high tide on Friday or Saturday (6:40-7:25pm) but I cringe trying to negotiate it on a weekend.

The St Lucie inlet has a dogleg in the channel at the end of the breakwater. The channel has floating channel markers that get moved as the shoaling moves, make sure you see and follow the channel.
On a weekend I love to follow a big sport fish into or out of the inlet, local knowledge is great.
Be extra careful when you are inside at the ICW intersection with the St Lucie River. This area shoals frequently.

I live in that area and don't like to go through St Lucie inlet. It moves all the time and the channel is not easy to see when the sea builds up.
Once inside, you must slalom through more shoals: I don't like it.
Ft Pierce or West Palm (Lake Worth) are very easy.

I draft 4'.

St Lucie inlet can be great or really bad.
It is rated as one of the worst inlets in Fla.
The trick is to time it.
You want to go through at slack tide or close to it.
DO NOT try it with an east wind and out going tide, it can get pretty nasty.
If you time your crossing with the tide (not always possible) and no east wind it's a breeze.
If not it can get a little nasty, took water over my transom years ago comming in.
Have used it may times in good timing and no problem, but not my favorite.
I use Lake Worth much more predictable.

St Lucie inlet can be great or really bad.
It is rated as one of the worst inlets in Fla.
The trick is to time it.
You want to go through at slack tide or close to it.
DO NOT try it with an east wind and out going tide, it can get pretty nasty.
If you time your crossing with the tide (not always possible) and no east wind it's a breeze.
If not it can get a little nasty, took water over my transom years ago comming in.
Have used it may times in good timing and no problem, but not my favorite.
I use Lake Worth much more predictable.

Man. I know I'm gonna be tired after crossing. Don't think I want to deal with all that. I think I will just ride the stream up to Ft Pierce.

Greetings,
Mr. 01. VERY simple solution. Stay in the islands for another month and ask us then...

200w.gif

You can always make a decision en route. If the weather's ideal and you arrive in daylight, opt for the St. Lucie inlet. If it's snotty, head for Ft. Pierce. I'd sooner do a couple extra hours on the ICW than contend with a crappy experience in a sloppy inlet.

I have experienced Ft. Pierce and St. Lucie Inlets under good and bad conditions. Panacea123 and Maerin make sensible suggestions - when in doubt, go on up to Ft. Pierce.

Man. I know I'm gonna be tired after crossing. Don't think I want to deal with all that. I think I will just ride the stream up to Ft Pierce.

Good plan, Dude. I have been out St. Lucie into 5-7 footers with the wind out of the East. Seas were 5-7 all the way to the Bank. It slowed us to 14-15 knots. Returning St. Lucie Inlet was flat as a pancake. So timing is everything. It is a fairly straight forward inlet except for Tucker mentioning the dog leg turn as you come in.

Why fight the Stream with a slower boat. Ride it up to Fort Pierce. It is a reliable inlet. It can get rough with an easterly wind with the tide running out. You might try to raise on the radio Capt. Tris on the charter boat Last Mango. He fishes most days. If he is fishing he will give you an update on the inlet conditions. You can tell him I told you to call him.

Thanks Don, et al. I appreciate all the advice.

Svrs

Another question. I was going to try to do the Small Vessel Reporting System for customs, but I have a couple of problems. Wanted to ask before I lost cell service.

I can't figure out how to activate the float plan.

I don't know what the "cruising license number" is.

I have called customs but they are not open yet and I might lose cell service by the time they are open.

I realize my son aboard does not have his own SVRS number so he might have to go to customs in person? Where is that in fort pierce?

Thanks.

As has been said, wind & tide are THE factors for either inlet. I used St. Lucie last month and it was fairly easy. Channel is marked well. The ICW intersection is more dangerous on a weekend with all the traffic. Time your arrival accordingly.

We drove to the Treasure Coast Airport in Ft. Pierce for customs check in, it was really easy. When you get to your slip in Stuart, call customs to check in & get your number. You have 24 hours for a face to face check in. I believe the airport location is open 7 days a week.

Rafe

Another question. I was going to try to do the Small Vessel Reporting System for customs, but I have a couple of problems. Wanted to ask before I lost cell service.

I can't figure out how to activate the float plan.

I don't know what the "cruising license number" is.

I have called customs but they are not open yet and I might lose cell service by the time they are open.

I realize my son aboard does not have his own SVRS number so he might have to go to customs in person? Where is that in fort pierce?

Thanks.

You are cruising license exempt but you are required to have a decal.

To enter or revise a float plan you just sign in here:

https://svrs.cbp.dhs.gov/Account/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Participant/FloatPlanWizard.aspx

Now, I would come into Fort Pierce and spend a night there. Great marina and great town. Then complete your trip to Stuart. Get all checked in at Fort Pierce, let your son go to the airport if necessary.

St Lucie County Airport/Fort Pierce
Also known as Treasure Coast
Phone: (772) 461-1733
Fax: (772) 461-5886
Operational Hours: 10:00 AM-6:00 PM (Eastern), Seven Days A Week (7)

Very convenient in Fort Pierce. Much more so than to St. Lucie. Just like Bahamas, first port.

We've never entered at Fort Pierce with anyone not SVRS. We typically do that in West Palm and it may be fast there or take hours.

Good plan, Dude. I have been out St. Lucie into 5-7 footers with the wind out of the East. Seas were 5-7 all the way to the Bank. It slowed us to 14-15 knots. Returning St. Lucie Inlet was flat as a pancake. So timing is everything. It is a fairly straight forward inlet except for Tucker mentioning the dog leg turn as you come in.

Why fight the Stream with a slower boat. Ride it up to Fort Pierce. It is a reliable inlet. It can get rough with an easterly wind with the tide running out. You might try to raise on the radio Capt. Tris on the charter boat Last Mango. He fishes most days. If he is fishing he will give you an update on the inlet conditions. You can tell him I told you to call him.

Just got some cell signal. About 10 miles out from Ft Pierce. There is a pretty good size easterly swell running. Breaking 4' waves out here. Not pleasant!!

I will catch the inlet at 30 min before high tide however so hopefully it will be OK?

You are cruising license exempt but you are required to have a decal.

To enter or revise a float plan you just sign in here:

https://svrs.cbp.dhs.gov/Account/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Participant/FloatPlanWizard.aspx

Now, I would come into Fort Pierce and spend a night there. Great marina and great town. Then complete your trip to Stuart. Get all checked in at Fort Pierce, let your son go to the airport if necessary.

St Lucie County Airport/Fort Pierce

Also known as Treasure Coast

Phone: (772) 461-1733

Fax: (772) 461-5886

Operational Hours: 10:00 AM-6:00 PM (Eastern), Seven Days A Week (7)

Very convenient in Fort Pierce. Much more so than to St. Lucie. Just like Bahamas, first port.

We've never entered at Fort Pierce with anyone not SVRS. We typically do that in West Palm and it may be fast there or take hours.

Thanks! I was able to call the guy and he walked me through the SVRS steps. Got checked in over the phone!

He was able to enter him into the system via email and text and clear him over the phone. The guy really went out of his way to help us. Joe Sangawitch (sp?) out of the St Pete office.

He was able to enter him into the system via email and text and clear him over the phone. The guy really went out of his way to help us. Joe Sangawitch (sp?) out of the St Pete office.

I'll bet you asked politely. Doesn't sound like much but people in their positions want respect and they like to help those who ask. They don't like to be disrespected and don't like people who won't listen. No different than any of us.

Dude, please let us know when you are safely snuggled in. We've all got a little skin in your game.

I know this is too late to matter, but we we came back from the Bahamas a few weeks ago we came back in to St. Lucie, like we always do. It was calm outside with a light east wind, but a thunderstorm blew up right as we came in the inlet and there was a raging outgoing tide. To top it off it was a Sunday afternoon.

3 to 5 foot standing waves in the inlet, but pretty easy to punch through.

On the other hand, every fool in St. Lucie and Martin county with access to a boat was trying to come through the inlet at the same time. It was an absolute dumpster fire all the way to confusion corner.

The other boaters were far, far more dangerous than the inlet. Those people are completely crazy. And I mean that in the worst sort of way, not the fun kind of crazy at all.

Oh, and Sea Tow had a boat in tow coming through the inlet just in front of us. I felt really sorry for him. The guys in the intrepids, yellowfins and jupietrs with trips or quads were trying their best to kill him and take their own lives at the same time.

I won't go into that inlet on a Sunday again.

We made it to Fort Pierce around 6:30pm yesterday. Left Mangrove Cay at 4:30am and had a long bumpy trip across the Stream. I was beat and forgot to post when we arrived.

It was supposed to be 2-4 wind chop coming across, and maybe that's what it was, but they were right on my stern quarter which makes the AP corkscrew. I couldn't get the sails to eliminate the roll. Finally reefed the sails some and that helped. Winds were supposed to be 6-12k but they were consistently over 12 from the SE.

Around mid way in the stream the waves started breaking and we were really rocking. Winds blowing up to 18k. I finally had to take it off AP and manually steer down the breaking waves because the AP would always overcorrect. They weren't big breaking waves, maybe 6', but it was a pain. I saw no other boats out. Lol.

The FP inlet wasn't bad at all. We timed it to show up at almost dead high tide (maybe 1 hour before) but even then that current through the inlet was surprising. We hit 9.5 knots coming in! I can see how it would be bad with waves opposing that current. I don't even know if my boat could buck that current and maintain speed more than 2-3 knots.

Last edited:
We made it to Fort Pierce around 6:30pm yesterday. Left Mangrove Cay at 4:30am and had a long bumpy trip across the Stream. I was beat and forgot to post when we arrived.

It was supposed to be 2-4 wind chop coming across, and maybe that's what it was, but they were right on my stern quarter which makes the AP corkscrew. I couldn't get the sails to eliminate the roll. Finally reefed the sails some and that helped. Winds were supposed to be 6-12k but they were consistently over 12 from the SE.

Around mid way in the stream the waves started breaking and we were really rocking. Winds blowing up to 18k. I finally had to take it off AP and manually steer down the breaking waves because the AP would always overcorrect. They weren't big breaking waves, maybe 6', but it was a pain. I saw no other boats out. Lol.

The FP inlet wasn't bad at all. We timed it to show up at almost dead high tide (maybe 1 hour before) but even then that current through the inlet was surprising. We hit 9.5 knots coming in! I can see how it would be bad with waves opposing that current. I don't even know if my boat could buck that current and maintain speed more than 2-3 knots.

Thanks for the update, Dude, and the details. Sounds like a pretty decent crossing, all things considered.

A successful crossing, indeed. I have run many inlets up and down the East and Gulf coasts. I have a healthy respect for each one. Never play in an inlet. It can be very serious business. Get some well deserved rest.

Well Done!:thumb:

I know this is too late to matter, but we we came back from the Bahamas a few weeks ago we came back in to St. Lucie, like we always do. It was calm outside with a light east wind, but a thunderstorm blew up right as we came in the inlet and there was a raging outgoing tide. To top it off it was a Sunday afternoon.

3 to 5 foot standing waves in the inlet, but pretty easy to punch through.

On the other hand, every fool in St. Lucie and Martin county with access to a boat was trying to come through the inlet at the same time. It was an absolute dumpster fire all the way to confusion corner.

The other boaters were far, far more dangerous than the inlet. Those people are completely crazy. And I mean that in the worst sort of way, not the fun kind of crazy at all.

Oh, and Sea Tow had a boat in tow coming through the inlet just in front of us. I felt really sorry for him. The guys in the intrepids, yellowfins and jupietrs with trips or quads were trying their best to kill him and take their own lives at the same time.

I won't go into that inlet on a Sunday again.

Holy sh$t. I was in the "crossroads" or confusion corner or whatever it's called where I turn starboard in towards Stuart, going slow, boats coming in front of me, boats coming out from Stuart, and some idiot passes me on the my starboard side in a quad engine center console going about 30. What the hell? He was weaving in and out of boats like crazy.

Then, I get into the wider part of the river thinking all is good, and a huge sport fish passes me throwing a wake so big I had crap flying everywhere. Welcome back to civilization I guess. Lol. This is way more stressful that the crossing.

Last edited:
Wifey B: So, it's done. First trip to Bahamas. You survived. Sure hope you had fun. Love to hear your post adventure observations. I know the first time is a bit of a challenge, performance anxiety and all, just not sure of oneself. Hope it was enough to make you want to do it again. It gets better each time. :)

Note to self....avoid weekend boating in South Florida.

Coming from an inland lake, it's mild. Still on weekends and holidays there are areas of congestion to be aware of. We prefer to take off and run outside often further from shore than we might otherwise. Port Everglades has more traffic than any of the other inlets mentioned but is never really too difficult.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom