engine rebuild cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeterOTampa

Does anyone have an idea of what it might cost to get a Detroit Diesel 471TA rebuilt. Just some sort of range to estimate the expense would be great. Thanks

Hi Peter

I'm only posting to keep up with answers to your question. Wish I could offer more assistance. Good Luck and Welcome to TF! - Art

Peter.. I just had a 6-71 rebuilt. Base price was about $3500 a hole.

Sounds about right. The boat next to me is having a 6-71 rebuilt right now for $20k. Have you looked to see if you can find a swing rebuilt engine? Sometimes you can find a deal.

May I asked why you need a rebuild? what happened?

L.

If you or a friend can do the work, a 471 engine kit runs $900-1000 and the head will cost about $1000. The only critical part (different from gas engines) is shimming the sleeves to the proper height and setting the rack. I did my two 671 naturals for about $5000, including the heads.
The old sleeves should have numbers on them so you can get exactly the same again.

You can get a brand John Deere 4045 for 13k total engine

Look in" Boats and Harbors' for a DD rebuilder .

If the engine can just be lifted an inframe can be done.

About $1k for parts, cyliders, pistons , bearings and gaskets and seals , $1k to have the head done , about $35 each for injectors plus labor.

If you go this route DEMAND to see the DD toolkit of the worker before allowing a wrench to be turned

.And check references.

Its been a while but I paid about 3k for the head work, new sleeves with pistons loaded, new injectors and gasket kit. Labor I swapped out for building a shed. I just hit about 18 hours on the new engine and it runs great. Old mechanics are hard to find but love to barter. I've got to go build an addition on his house next for the other motor, when ever it gives up the ghost.

I am just interested because on engine has already been rebuilt. Both work well but I just wanted to know what I was getting into. I think the new one has about 900 hours on it. The port engine, who know. Looks well used. Buying the boat anyway because it is such a good price. I can afford to put 10K into it and still be OK. I should have a nice piece if I do. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom