Halvorsen 39 Hard Top Express

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice.

its worth going the extra mile with a one of a kind boat like that.

Checking in here.

Attachments

• IMG_1469.jpeg
    IMG_1469.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 106
Latest pictures of the restoration. New and hopefully final launch date is July 7. IMG_6508.JPGIMG_6511.JPG

IMG_6512.JPG

Did I say July 7? Now July 28. Woof.

Thanks. I believe we are close. Total superstructure restoration. Picts soon.

Epoxy going down. Still target July 28 splash.

Attachments

• IMG_6950.JPG
    IMG_6950.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_6951.JPG
    IMG_6951.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_6570.JPG
    IMG_6570.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_6941.JPG
    IMG_6941.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
This is killing me! But very close. Primer down.

So close

Attachments

• Greeno Nonskid layout 04.jpg
    Greeno Nonskid layout 04.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 276
  • Greeno Nonskid layout 03.jpg
    Greeno Nonskid layout 03.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 282
  • Greeno Nonskid layout 02.jpg
    Greeno Nonskid layout 02.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 280

Attachments

• IMG_7087.JPG
    IMG_7087.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_7086.JPG
    IMG_7086.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_7084.JPG
    IMG_7084.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 496
For those of you following my saga. Tomorrow is splash day! Like a kid in a candy factory ....

Finally! We did it. Complete restoration to better than new condition.

Attachments

• IMG_7134.JPG
    IMG_7134.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_7132.JPG
    IMG_7132.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7130.JPG
    IMG_7130.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_7107.JPG
    IMG_7107.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 107
Congratulations, very nice looking. Now time to enjoy her!

L

Thank you!

Looks great!Great restoration of an unusual Halvorsen.

Great job, Nate! She looks like new.

Very interesting design. How is the interior laid out?

Gaston, it looks a good boat, but the main cabin(avoiding the salon/saloon debate) design wastes pace with all galley one side. And where to put the dinghy except on the transom, maybe it could go on the hardtop, maybe not.

Gaston, it looks a good boat, but the main cabin(avoiding the salon/saloon debate) design wastes pace with all galley one side. And where to put the dinghy except on the transom, maybe it could go on the hardtop, maybe not.

I have always loved these Halvos its a good excuse to go down to Tasmania for a few days and look it over who knows ?

Nate and Deb(Legend),you might be interested to see the Halvorsen 38. They were produced from about 2003 on, early ones built in Australia, later ones by Jinghua in China. Lots of similarities. There were single 440 and twin 240 Yanmars fitted, and single and two cabin versions. Rare to find, even here. https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/halvorsen-38-gourmet-cruiser/202639

That is ONE BEAUTIFUL boat, Bruce! Bristol like SeahorseII/Codger/Walt's 32 Gourmet Cookout...or something like that. If I could afford the cost of proper ownership, that one looks just about right. That's the layout many of us love to experience on the water! Not too crazy about that coffin-like bed, though.

TBH, I'd be a nervous wreck having my kind of fun on a boat as nice as that one. I'd spend more time preserving and protecting it than enjoying it. (Sometimes, serious fishing gets too ugly for a boat as pretty as that one!)

Until I find the perfect one in my retiree budget, I'll stick to my "comfortably imperfect" base model of early west coast USA construction...warts and all.

Flat white is underrated. If I bump a dock, it's hardly an issue. I have enough acetone to remove evidence of most encounters.

Last edited:
My interest in the Halvorsen 38 was sparked by mooring next to one overnight in Castle Lagoon recently, a 2008 white boat. They were built to resemble the Halvorsen cruisers of the 1940/50/60s, in modern form. Owner said his can do 21 knots and he drove it from Melbourne to Sydney up the Pacific east coast(not at 21 knots). They remind me of Palm Beach Yachts (the people who merged/?took over) GB.
I`d go weak at the knees if I found one with the one large fwd cabin,separate shower and head, twin Yanmars,and bowthruster. And a helm door, but I don`t think that exists. They remind me a lot of Alaska Yachts too. (There is a revealing "I don`t really care for a FB" trend emerging here.)

Yes thanks. I'm familiar with them. Hull design a bit different, but many similarities.

Great job, Nate! She looks like new.

Very interesting design. How is the interior laid out?

There are some interior picts on page one of this thread. Basically island queen in the bow with head on one side and separate shower on the other. Opposing setee and galley, then up is helm and couch.

Great but short season. On the hard now. So here I am back at trawler forum

How did she do this season? Any winter projects planned?

Last edited:
She was great! This winter is the teak. Need to take it all the way down and come back up. We are really pleased with the restoration. Time to breathe a bit and enjoy her.

Back
Top Bottom