central Erie Canal closed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Curious, as to what this means? Do they close the whole canal between these locks or just don't operate the locks during the closure? If you are transiting the canal do you get some advanced warning?

Thanks,

Jim

They stop operating the locks. No advance warning. The affected stretch is - at a guess - about 50 miles long. So anyone within that area can't move out of their pool and nobody can enter it. Not many boats in this area, and lots of places to tie up, some nicer than others. I came into Seneca Falls yesterday and now can't get back on the main canal. But there are worse places to be...

ForumRunner_20170726_215508.jpg

The Rideau Canal system is also virtually closed for the same reasons. Only three locks are open in the whole system.

The Rideau Canal system is also virtually closed for the same reasons. Only three locks are open in the whole system.

Yeah, I've been watching that, as I want to go through the Rideau this summer. Was tentatively planning to head there from Oswego, but now think I may continue east on the Erie, go up through Lake Champlain to Montreal then Ottawa and south on the Rideau. Maybe the water levels will have stabilized by then :)

We are currently near 3 rivers (where Oswego canal heads N to Lk Ontario) awaiting reopenning to get back to Seneca Lk.
I believe those caught in the closed section can exit but not reenter the closed stretch.

We did the Erie Canal in 2015. Had to wait a month for the locks to open.
Folks in Baldwinsville were so very accommodating. They waived the electric fee (Docks are free), brought in a pump out truck for the vessels holding tanks, free to the boaters, and made every effort to meet their needs while "stuck" in their Beautiful well kept town.
Holy smokes, what more could you ask for?
Delays and all we really enjoyed the Erie Canal.

We did the Erie Canal in 2015. Had to wait a month for the locks to open.
Folks in Baldwinsville were so very accommodating. They waived the electric fee (Docks are free), brought in a pump out truck for the vessels holding tanks, free to the boaters, and made every effort to meet their needs while "stuck" in their Beautiful well kept town.
So did lock 24 let you go up to tie on the wall above?
I inquired about doing that and they said NO...not even to get to tie ups above?

Latest NTM advises Locks 24, 25 & C1 to reopen 0700 7/29

Is it common for the canal to be closed at various times in the summer?

I am planning this trip next year but don't want to be stranded.

Is it common for the canal to be closed at various times in the summer?

I am planning this trip next year but don't want to be stranded.

July is the month that typically has too much rain, which closes the locks. Just the way it is.

I had lunch on the Canal at Pittsford today. There was a westbound sailboat on the move. Canal a pretty ugly brown right now.

I was raised in Syracuse and used to go on hikes along the canal. This year is supposed to be their anniversary with lots of special stuff going on. Considered going up there to visit my family and put my boat in there.

They waived the electric fee (Docks are free), brought in a pump out truck for the vessels holding tanks, free to the boaters, and made every effort to meet their needs while "stuck" in their Beautiful well kept town.

I love it. I took advantage of the closure by exploring the area I was in and then leaving the boat in a safe secure (and free) spot while taking a trip home for a few days. You just need a relaxed schedule. Everyone I've dealt with along the way has been extremely friendly and helpful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom