Veneer suggestions for cabin interior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike66

Guru
Vessel Name
Susan Helena
Vessel Make
Albin40
Hi all. I posted this on the Albin Owners Forum. I need to repair two of the cabinet fronts in the aft cabin. The teak ply and all are solid, but an old leak delaminated and stained the veneer. Has anyone found a good match for theirs? I saw a golden teak online, but colors online aren't very accurate, and I can see this being an endless round of ordering and returning until I find the right match.

Teak is wood, it's the finish you need to match.

buy some extra and fiddle with different finishes until you get something close.

just realize that the teak will darken a bit with time and sunlight

Last edited:
Mike, You also have to match the grain of the teak or it will stand out like a sore thumb. You can easily match the finish texture and color/shade. Is the teak flat sawn or quarter sawn? You have several good wood sources in RI. I'd recommend taking one of your cabinet doors to a marine carpenter in your area and he can fix you up with the proper veneer or tell you where to get some. Like Kevin said, get some extra and experiment with it. The carpenter can probably advise you on the correct finish too. Just remember, it's always better to be a little lighter on the finish than darker. Ben

Thanks. Good suggestions and probably where I'm going. If I can find a local shop, I will. Hoping someone has already done this, so I can DIY.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Trawler Forum mobile app

I'm sure a lot of the guys (and gals) on here have done this type of job. I was simply suggesting you ask a local pro about it because it would require a short book with pictures to properly advise you on a forum-and it still wouldn't be as good as ten minutes with a professional yacht carpenter. Good luck. Ben

............. I was simply suggesting you ask a local pro about it because it would require a short book with pictures to properly advise you on a forum-and it still wouldn't be as good as ten minutes with a professional yacht carpenter. Good luck. Ben

That is very good advice. :thumb:

how big are the pieces you need? and, an accurate picture in color would be helpful too. I have an old Trojan cruiser I am scrapping out. The cabin has lots of solid teak as well as some big pieces of teak ply. Perhaps some could be of use to you.

I went through this several years ago. After failing to find anything close to a matching grain or colour, I did my repairs without matching. Very soon, within no more than 2 years, the fading brought the new veneers to the same colour as the old, and the grain patterns began to look normal.

I went through this several years ago. After failing to find anything close to a matching grain or colour, I did my repairs without matching. Very soon, within no more than 2 years, the fading brought the new veneers to the same colour as the old, and the grain patterns began to look normal.
That was the conclusion I came to after looking at it again. Going across the entire face of the lower cabinets will spruce things up quite a bit, no worry about matching. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom