NYC Marinas/ Mooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigpoppop

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Long Time Dead
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 55
Good morning- we are looking for a good place to stay on our boat for 2 weeks around the NYC area (or a little south). We've heard Liberty Landing Marina is a good spot- any less expensive alternatives that anyone may know about? Maybe a mooring? Many thanks!

Btw, many TF respondents encouraged us to continue our trip up along the east coast and we are VERY glad that we did. We loved Maine and everything that we've experienced so far- now working our way south to Chesapeake bay.

Thanks

Jeff

Liberty Landing is pretty much the going rate for NJ, around $4.50. Newport is another option and very convenient to the city by PATH. On the city side most are about $3 above the NJ side. You can move up to W 79th St for a little less. On the west side then you can move on up out of town and commute and save some.

On the east side you can cross to One 16 in Brooklyn for $4. Next are marinas on the East side of Brooklyn which is a long commute but a little less expensive. Then there are also marinas on the Long Island Sound, some convenient to trains but a long ride back to NYC.

A little lesson about NYC. It's expensive. Very. Everything. Go prepared for that and then get over it and just have fun. It's like no other place in the world. So much to see and enjoy and some of the sites such as Central Park are even free. But don't go to NYC to do nothing and save money. Go to have the best time, spending more than you want but not more than you can afford, and leave having had a great experience.

Everything there from Art to Opera to Broadway. Always the half price line for Broadway too. Deli's that are like no where else. I love seeing Deli's in the rest of the country thinking somehow they compare. They don't, although slowly the old famous great deli's closing. Carnegie Deli closed. Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Metropolitan, Museum of Modern Art so much to see. Just enjoy walking the streets. You can go watch people on 5th Avenue spending outrageous amounts in world famous stores and you don't have to spend. Must get to Soho while there.

You can have an incredible time if you can get over the pricing of food and lodging.

I also recommend circle boat tours of the city. Great tour boats with good narration. Of course I also list Yankee Stadium, Times Square, Madison Square Garden, and Penn Station as must sees.

Thanks BandB- Carnegie deli is closed? What a travesty! Thanks for the response- I'll do some research on all of that!

Jeff

Why not a mooring at 79th st Boat Basin. Half the cost of a slip. You will need a dinghy with a good o/b though.

David

Why not a mooring at 79th st Boat Basin. Half the cost of a slip. You will need a dinghy with a good o/b though.

David

His boat is too large for the moorings there. They're designed for 40' and under. He's 55'.

And it seems that the moorings there are currently closed due to an underwater electrical cable issue of some kind- appreciate the response though- I'm all ears for a cheaper solution! Jeff

Jeff,

Avoid Liberty Harbor Marina which is across the inlet from Liberty Landing. I stayed their several years ago and woke up to rats running around on my deck. Needless to say, I left the next morning.

Jeff,

Avoid Liberty Harbor Marina which is across the inlet from Liberty Landing. I stayed their several years ago and woke up to rats running around on my deck. Needless to say, I left the next morning.

I know Liberty Landing has been the old standby recommended marina and it's a very nice marina. However, if you want to visit NYC daily, then I'd really consider Newport Yacht Club. PATH is onsite so subway to Manhattan is a 10 minute ride. For a car, the Holland Tunnel is convenient. You even have a normal mall there like you'd see in the rest of the country. It's also a relatively reasonable taxi ride if you're returning from the city at night.

Also, the prices are outrageous compared to the Jersey side, but North Cove may be worth considering depending on your plans in the city. If you're going to evening shows, heading back to your boat late, the short taxi ride since it's in Manhattan is very nice. It's at the Brookfield Place development. It's not far from the NY side of the Holland Tunnel which leads to Newport. It's about 4 minutes from Times Square.

I'd still select Newport though for most people. We've accessed the city from there, left people there watching our boat who took advantage of NYC daily and had a great time. Train to the city is $2.75 per way so $5.50 round trip.

Save a ton of money for the cost of getting up a half hour earlier and get a mooring at Port Washington. Take the train into NYC.
First three days on the mooring is FREE. then just move to another mooring for another three days.
Well protected. Really nice people there.

Save a ton of money for the cost of getting up a half hour earlier and get a mooring at Port Washington. Take the train into NYC.
First three days on the mooring is FREE. then just move to another mooring for another three days.

I'd agree but the 30 minutes would shock me. Are you saying you can get to shore from your mooring, walk to the train, wait, get on board, and reach midtown in 30 minutes? Even if you dock at the marina at Port Washington, where we've docked at Brewer's, you can save over $100 a day in docking vs. Liberty Landing on the OP's 55' boat. I didn't think the moorings there would handle a boat that size? Also, I thought they were reserved for local residents.

Town of North Hempstead - Boating and Parking in North Hempstead

Jeff, I get to Manhattan a lot as it is 3 hours away and my daughter lives there. When I go there I try to save a buck anywhere I can. If your stay is a first or only time your planning to be there I wouldn't cheap out and stay far away.

If you want a great view of the skyline Liberty Landing or the Newport Yacht Club are the place to stay. Both a short PATH train or ferry across/under the Hudson into the city.

If you truly want to experience staying in the city open the wallet and stay at North Cove. Your right in the heart of Manhattan.

Unless they made changes your too long to stay at the mooring balls. Although the moorings are inexpensive you will get severely rocked by all the commercial traffic on the river from about 5AM thru midnight.

We just stayed at port Washington. Yes the first day or two is free but it is $8 per person each way to use the water taxi or pay $25/day and taxi is free. 15 min walk to train station then 40 min to Penn station on the LIRR. You can dinghy to shore but lock up. Middle of the day two guys stole an engine while the dock had fisherman on it.

Last edited:

I've been to NYC before but not by boat. If you want to save a ton of money, your best bet is to stay away.

Otherwise, take the advice presented above and realize that your visit will not be inexpensive.

Moorings on City Island are not expensive , and there are express buses in the AM & PM.

Cheaper to ride the Electric Sewer , but takes longer and is double fare, but runs all the time.

Moorings on City Island are not expensive , and there are express buses in the AM & PM.

Cheaper to ride the Electric Sewer , but takes longer and is double fare, but runs all the time.

What is the maximum size boat for the moorings and who has the larger ones? The OP is 55' and I don't recall seeing boats that size moored there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom