Call Me Captain-or Not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Master sounds about right ,

"Captain" is for folks with Greek fishermans hats with gold trim..

Funny, I get that same feeling when the sales people at West Marine greet each of their customers with," What can we help you with Captain?"

Ted

Seems we had a similar thread a while back. I never refer to myself as "Captain". I am also a bit bemused when USCG personnel refer to me as "Captain". There is nothing wrong with the term for the operator of a pleasure craft such as ours but to me "Captain" has some additional connotations of licensure or rank that don't fit me.

Growing up in the sailing world, I am much more comfortable with the term "Skipper". In my mind, this term is more about the role being played by the individual with less of the license and rank baggage of Captain.

I think the term is generally accepted nomenclature for the person behind the helm of any boat.
To be correct, it should probably refer only to a licensed operator, but it is a good way of being sure that there is no misunderstanding to whom your communication is being addressed.
When I was in charter business, I dealt with new faces and names everyday, and did not expect everyone to remember my name, nor vice versa.

I tend to find it patronizing.

...Growing up in the sailing world, I am much more comfortable with the term "Skipper". In my mind, this term is more about the role being played by the individual with less of the license and rank baggage of Captain.

:thumb: In the Eastern Caribbean Skipper or Hey Skip is used more frequently than Captain. It's probably also easier for the boat boys or fuel dock hands to sound friendly/ welcoming without knowing or having to remember names. :)

Another nothing burger.....

Greetings,
Mr. GF. "Gilligan's Island". Skipper or Captain, he was irresponsible. Look where they ended up.

th

The captain/skipper did NOT check the weather or had no knowledge of local weather patterns nor did he file a trip plan with the USCG. I expect the boat cruised in the 20kt range so 1 1/2 hours out would be 30 miles or so (3 hour tour). They should have high tailed it back at the first sign of worsening weather.

The SS Minnow, what appears to be about a 45' vessel, was overloaded (enough wardrobe changes for 3 years for Ginger, Mary Ann and the Howells as well as all the Howell's $$. Skipper, the professor and Gilligan appeared to wear the same clothes throughout).

Bad judgement and seamanship BUT entertaining TV.

Greetings,
Mr. GF. "Gilligan's Island". Skipper or Captain, he was irresponsible. Look where they ended up.

th

The captain/skipper did NOT check the weather or had no knowledge of local weather patterns nor did he file a trip plan with the USCG. I expect the boat cruised in the 20kt range so 1 1/2 hours out would be 30 miles or so (3 hour tour). They should have high tailed it back at the first sign of worsening weather.

The SS Minnow, what appears to be about a 45' vessel, was overloaded (enough wardrobe changes for 3 years for Ginger, Mary Ann and the Howells as well as all the Howell's $$. Skipper, the professor and Gilligan appeared to wear the same clothes throughout).

Bad judgement and seamanship BUT entertaining TV.

Oh, I think he planned it perfectly to end up stranded on an island with Marianne and Ginger.....

I prefer "master" or "commander" in a boating context ;);) but cannot recall anyone addressing me by a title such as those or as captain or skipper, other than "sir."

Last edited:
I always thought that Captain was a rank that was assigned, Skipper is a title earned through respect. I'm just a lowly boat driver.

I always thought that Captain was a rank that was assigned, Skipper is a title earned through respect. I'm just a lowly boat driver.

The issue comes up when the USCG, a marina contacted via VHF, tow operator, or another boater refers to you as "Captain". When they address me as "Captain", I always tend to look around to see whom they are addressing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom