angus99
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysailor View Post
Howdy Angus,
Are you sure about the capacities of your saddle/aft tanks? I just did an inspection/cleaning of the tanks on my 2005 Defever 44. Afterwards, I measured the new fuel going into the saddle tanks and put calibration marks on the sight glasses. I only put 200gal in each tank, but looking at the sight glasses, I don't think another 150gal would fit in there. I've always been under the assumption that the saddle tanks were ~250gal each, and the aft was ~450gal. Curious if the tank design might have changed since your production year.

I also use my aft tank as a "day tank", but don't intend to transfer fuel out of it to the saddles. I have a circ pump on a timer with a 2mic filter that I run once a week to keep things sweet. I built an additional valve manifold system and ran additional tubing that allows the circ pump to take a suction off of the lowest tap on the aft tank (about 1" lower than the normal fuel supply line tap). This is right at the bottom of the V shaped tank, and is the next best thing to having a trash sump in the tank.

Gotta love working on boats cause that represents most of our time aboard!
Luke
Hey, Luke. I should have said the capacities were estimates since I haven't filled them yet. I was given those capacities for our boat and have seen some printed references to 375-gal saddle tanks in Defever 44s and 44+5s, but I don't know for sure what's correct. Just spitballing the dimensions of the aft tank, I get 45,000 cubic inches, which is about 195 gallons. I have those lower taps on my tanks as well, but mine look like they've been plugged with fiberglass resin or something similar. I wish I could use them.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote