View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 05:27 AM   #24
Aquabelle
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Now, the mysterious stuffing box….or not so mysterious, as it turned out to be as I’d guessed in post #18 above. No shipwright or engineer at the yard had ever seen one like this and the DuraMax pdf I attached at post #18 was all they had to go by. An experienced shipwright took it partially apart and discovered two “puller/pusher” tapped holes. Thin flat stainless plates were inserted between the bronze backing plate and the hull (not easy) and threaded rods were then screwed in, which with a bit of ‘encouragement’ via a pipe and a mallet from outside back up the shaft tube, finally pushed the whole contraption free of the bulkhead & into the engine room.

The 1st photo below shows the SB out of the boat, fwd side, with one of the long push-bolts in place. The 2nd photo looks down through the SB while it was still in situ; if you zoom the photo, you may be able to make out the almost-worn-to-nothing rubber bearing fluting.

The 3rd photo shows the aft side of the SB, the tube behind the bulkhead, which contains a rubber bearing….already removed in this photo, to show the tube has a ‘lip’ to retain the bearing, which has to be inserted before the packing from the engine-room side.

The 4th photo shows the removed bearing and a retaining ring that sits between the packing and the bearing….this detail for the benefit of any OA owners and others with this unusual SB that may be faced with removal down the track. It seems that today, these SB’s are made only for shafts of 4” and greater. I’d guess that many are out there and have been re-packed regularly, with their owners oblivious to the rubber bearing that sits behind the packing space and which, while long-lived if the running gear remains undamaged, does eventually wear out and deserves replacement.
The SB will be completely cleaned up and a new bearing inserted tomorrow. I probably won’t be around to take a pic of the finished object unfortunately, but I’ll try to get the yard to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SB fwd side.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	67119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old bearing in rear of SB.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	67120  
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote