Keeping the prop clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used cold galvanize but have concluded it dosn't work well enough.

In Alaska I used ArmorAll and it worked fairly well up there but low temps and low light probably helped it along. The last time I launched (in WA) I heavily coated the prop w ArmorAll. That was back in September. Plan to haul to change our prop. May be soon. Then I'll know better. Boat has hardly been used so if it comes up clean it would be a big endorsement for ArmorAll.

Five-in-one tool absolutely keeps prop clean.

Five-in-one tool absolutely keeps prop clean.
Or push tbrough miles of silt a few feet less than your draft.

It will keep the prop clean and sharpen the blade to the point the blades will cut you in a heartbeat... :eek:

Our boat has been in the water for 2 weeks after bottom paint and also running gear paint. No growth in the boat yet but my props have barnacles already! I cut my hands up trying to get them off.

Is that normal?

Sounds too quick but if the prop wasnt brought up bright after dunking, the scum, algae and barnacles can form fast.

I tried tossing a new silverstone frypan over my dock one time as an experiment. In a few months, it was a mess with even an oyster stuck on it. And, no, they didn't slide off when I tilted the pan. Have had to use hard paint, like Trinidad on all metal, the glass did OK with the ablatives. Water temp. avg about 85 F. Seems like every so often, these crazy threads fire up again; ultrasonics, grease, zero paint, silicone spray, now adding magic markers to the list. :whistling:

I tried tossing a new silverstone frypan over my dock one time as an experiment. In a few months, it was a mess with even an oyster stuck on it. And, no, they didn't slide off when I tilted the pan. Have had to use hard paint, like Trinidad on all metal, the glass did OK with the ablatives. Water temp. avg about 85 F. Seems like every so often, these crazy threads fire up again; ultrasonics, grease, zero paint, silicone spray, now adding magic markers to the list. :whistling:

I like the traditional one adding a gallon of cayenne pepper to the bottom paint. Magic Marker is a new one on me.

I'm a big fan of Prop Speed. It will keep the oysters and barnacles off my prop for almost a year. When it's fresh my boat is almost a full knot faster according to the GPS thingy.

It is expensive. About $200 a prop if I recall correctly.

I'm a big fan of Prop Speed. It will keep the oysters and barnacles off my prop for almost a year. When it's fresh my boat is almost a full knot faster according to the GPS thingy.

Magic Marker is a lot cheaper! :rolleyes:

There is some discussion on that thread over what color works the best.

Our boat has been in the water for 2 weeks after bottom paint and also running gear paint. No growth in the boat yet but my props have barnacles already! I cut my hands up trying to get them off.

Is that normal?
2 weeks? Really? No. Either the (presumed) hard a/f used failed or you have unusually aggressive barnacles. If the paint really was good when applied you need Propspeed or similar. And of course, some band aids.

Magic Marker is a lot cheaper! :rolleyes:

There is some discussion on that thread over what color works the best.

At least I got some value for my $200. That $2.00 magic marker was just a total waste of time and money.:D

By the way, the proper color is red. The barnacles think it's copper and swim away.

At least I got some value for my $200. That $2.00 magic marker was just a total waste of time and money.:D

By the way, the proper color is red. The barnacles think it's copper and swim away.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Use your boat... and get a good diver. the prop will stay plenty clean. I have never used any "prop system" and I have never had a problem. Save your money. Or suit yourself.

PS... I am pretty sure the magic marker thing was debunked a long time ago.

Is that a knot faster across the board?
Or at a specific rpm.
Frequent use is the best solution, but many, including myself, cannot find the time to spend driving the boat every day.
I have tried Armor All, Woody Wax, Lanolin grease, bottom paint, zinc paint, all fail miserably at preventing barnacle growth, though some do make the barneys easier to remove.

Parks, I think the error was not writing "No Barnacles" with the marker pen on the prop. Had that been done, preferably in Barnacalese,the barnacles would surely have obediently stayed away.

Docking in current make for way worse growth. Try to find a slip in stagnant water,

Is that a knot faster across the board?
Or at a specific rpm.
Frequent use is the best solution, but many, including myself, cannot find the time to spend driving the boat every day.
I have tried Armor All, Woody Wax, Lanolin grease, bottom paint, zinc paint, all fail miserably at preventing barnacle growth, though some do make the barneys easier to remove.

I actually gain RPM. I think Prop Speed makes the prop slippery.

In my crazy period I raced little hydroplane boats. The propeller was made of steel that would rust quickly. I started coating the prop with Never Seez. It worked great at preventing rust. I noticed that after a race, there was still a thin coat on the prop. This prop had just been pushing the boat at close to a hundred miles per hour. Years later I decided to try Never Seez on Possum's prop. After just a few hours running the Never Seez was gone. I don't think any grease will stay on a prop long enough to be useful.

We use this and works well (few years back not so well, but they changed forumla)
Pettit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier Aerosol

Is that normal?

No, nothing normal about that. We're huge fans of Prop Speed, but application is key to any running gear paint. It's choosing the right paint and applying it properly. Clearly yours failed in one or the other part.

Docking in current make for way worse growth. Try to find a slip in stagnant water,

Never thought of that but the current would bring the nutrients to the barnacles.

Many of us moor in tidal zones some w considerable current. Lots of marina's are on rivers that are significantly tidal.

Docking in current make for way worse growth. Try to find a slip in stagnant water,[/QUOTE

Stagnant water in my area is the devil's own for all kinds of growth.
The temperature climbs rapidly in absence of current.
Tidal currents sweep our harbour, except for a couple of corners where the temp is always higher, and the marine growth, including barneys, is much faster.

In Jersey, its the fresh ocean wayer that promotes the most growth.

The enclosed bays and marinas have much less.

I've been using prop speed for about five or six years. Sometimes it last a year and sometimes not. Same yard doing the work. Boat is in brackish water in the Miami River.

Red also hides the blood when you cut yourself on the barnacles.

I just use the boat and every once in a while dredge the canal behind my camp. Shines the prop pretty good:)

Back
Top Bottom