Cleaning Product Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi All,
I recently purchased a kk54 and will be getting her from the yard in about 2 weeks, I'd like to give her a deep clean and could use recommendations on products and process for the following.
-Interior teak
-Wood flooring
-Painted (I think) wall areas
-Fiberglass
-Heads/Showers, etc
-Cleaning of Bilges and Engine Room (I have a steam cleaner)

Thanks!
Arthur

Interior teak and wood flooring: Murphys oil soap mixed with water. I use method products on all else. (natural)

Simple Green works well in the engine room for me.

th

Engine room:
- various citrus solvents (pick your favorite fruit smell), but follow directions
- and the Kaboom! does an OK job too (ditto directions)
- Simple Green and/or Dawn dish soap
- plenty of fresh water
- steam is good
- and plenty of RT's "EG" (mine took larger quantity containers than what he pictured)

Start from the top of the engines and work down.

Utensils helped: mop head on an adjustable-length handle, etc. Plus some of the cleaning tools often found in the bathroom and kitchen cleaning aisle at the grocery. And then there's the home-made apparatus: rag on a flat screwdriver blade.

Be sure to capture and discard any oils properly.

-Chris

Thanks, luckily I'm only a single so one less to clean :)
AC

Extreme Simple Green works way better than Simple Green.

2nd on the Murphys oil soap . House hold vinegar for general cleaning .

A couple of years ago we found some stuff called Z cleaner (come regular and concentrated) we used concentrate on really tough engine room dirt.

A pressure washer and plain water for exterior. Acetone for exterior black streaks and to clean bumpers. Oxalic acid (also called On and Off) to remove exterior rust stains and yellow bow stain. I realize that you are on the west coast now, but in case there is some yellow stain remaining from when she was cruising the ICW.

All of the above will remove wax, so give her a good polish after a thorough cleaning.

Congrats with your new boat.

BTW. I first heard of Z cleaner in Hopkins Carter and have been buying it there ever since. Great stuff.

Hi All,
I recently purchased a kk54

Nice boat. If this is the Sea Bear that used to sit in a canal down the street from my house I am curious how you got it to Seattle?

Gelcoat - I like the 3M products for bringing the gelcoat back and keeping it nice.

I prefer a two-step process, such as Finesse It Finishing Glaze - which buffs away with the machine application - followed by regular paste wax.

I also like to use a soap with wax in it, I certainly get more time between wax jobs if I use good soap.

3M has a new line of products here:

Gelcoat Finishing System - Compounds and Polishes - Products 3M Solutions for boat owners, marinas, boat builders and industrial ship builders

I have used the "light" and boat wash with good results.

A good buffer, such as a Makita, will give years of service and reduces the size bucket of elbow grease you will need.

Contact me via PM if you want to get into specifics.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom