Rocna Vulcan anchor size for Grand Banks 42?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FBoykin

Vessel Name
Hannah Jane
Vessel Make
2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
New to me Grand Banks 42 Classic has a 45# CQR as primary anchor. Shank is bent and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Rocna Vulcan anchor (research says that style fits my bow roller best). Wondering if anyone on a GB 42 is using a Vulcan and has advice about the size they're using?

On a Vulcan sizing chart, a GB42 in size & weight is between a size 25 (55#) and a 33 (73#).

Any GB42 folks using a Vulcan with advice? Thanks.

We have a GB 46 and use a 75# Rocna (not a Vulcan model) with the roll bar. The size is more than adequate and would likely be overkill for your boat. We anchor several 100 times/year as we are full time cruisers. The 55# should be more than enough.

I suspect the 55# Rocna Vulcan will be plenty big. OTOH I would never discourage someone from getting a bigger anchor. But check the bow roller to anchor windlass length and make sure it can accomodate the long shaft of the Rocna.

David

We replaced our old friend our 45 lb CQR with a 44 Lb Rocna Vulcan. The Rocna web site has plans for each size anchor that you can down load and print. We did that before ordering and the plans are true to size.
We have anchored several times with the Rocna Vulcan and it truely is a better setting anchor than the trusty CQR. Best example was anchoring in 10-12', sand bottom, 1 1/2 knot current, dropped the Rocna and used the current to lay out about 50' of 5/16" chain, I snubbed the chain and let the current set the Rocna. When it set the chain straightened and the Rocna set so solidly it was hard to keep your footing on the bow. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
We have a 43' GB between 40k to 50k pounds and use a Manson Boss (similar but not exact) and it is 60 pounds with chain ride. Best anchor I've ever had but it has a large fluke.

Anchor manufacturers and other experts often say holding power is proportional to fluke area. Of course it's not true but lt's a very good indication. Anchors w small fluke area most often have low performance. However the details can make a big difference.

Eric

This damn anchor has the biggest fluke area I've seen, it looks like a 747 wingspan. :b

Anchor manufacturers and other experts often say holding power is proportional to fluke area. Of course it's not true but lt's a very good indication. Anchors w small fluke area most often have low performance. However the details can make a big difference.

Eric, good points. This fluke area comparison with anchors of similar weights might be of interest.

If fluke area was the only determine factor the Boss would win hands down but fluke area is only one part of the equation which makes rating anchors a very difficult practice.

Fboykin, did you receive my reply to your PM?

Once, you've been in a 75 mph squall on a lee shore, there is no such thing as too much anchor.

On our 42 foot motor yacht (40,000 lbs), our primary anchor is a Mantus 85 pounder.

It may look silly, but it feels good!

Eric

This damn anchor has the biggest fluke area I've seen, it looks like a 747 wingspan. :b

Bigfish,
I've seen them on boats and they always look BIG.
Handled one at a boat show and it seemed lightweight. But if the fluke to shank geometry is correct (no reason to belive otherwise) it should serve you well. Perhaps you should change your username to "BigBoss".

Brian,
Yes indeed the holding power king is .. in a word .. Fortress.

Bigfish,
Surface area is a big factor to be sure.

But surface area is easy and even idea fluke shape is more or less a given. The tricky part is setting. Steve (Panope) was brilliant to pick setting to analyze in his anchor tests. And the thing that made Bruce and roll bar anchors a smash hit on the anchor market was setting. And setting is what opens the door to more basic performance factors like holding power.

I think I've said as much in the past but if I was heading to SE Alaska tomorrow I'd pick an anchor first for excellent setting performance. Then bottom compatability (rocks, sand mud, weed ect) holding power and other secondary considerations like fitting on the bow can be considered. But your sunk if you can't hook up.

Eric

BigBoss. LMAO.

I agree about the fortress being a holding power champ and I used one for years but had problems getting them to set and if you can't set them they won't hold. I'm no expert but I felt that being lightweight they were hard to penetrate grass bottoms and lost confidence in the anchor. I always thought the best use for the Fortress was as an extra, stored in the bilge anchor and not as a primary.

Just my SSO!

Eric

BigBoss. LMAO.

I agree about the fortress being a holding power champ and I used one for years but had problems getting them to set and if you can't set them they won't hold. I'm no expert but I felt that being lightweight they were hard to penetrate grass bottoms and lost confidence in the anchor. I always thought the best use for the Fortress was as an extra, stored in the bilge anchor and not as a primary.

Just my SSO!

We had an F-37 Fortress as a backup/kedge anchor and that was our experience as well. With the right bottom, it would set quickly, and a D-7 tractor couldn't pull it out. On the wrong bottom, you could try and set it all day without any luck.

Bigfish and all,
To delegate the Fortress to a backup status may be a mistake.

Many things on TF get repeated over and over again because people don't know what to say so they repeat what so many others have said that they assume that is bullet proof. Kinda like bigger is better. Talk about bullet proof! But if it's said enough times most will belive it.

If I was to try an anchor that I've not had any experience with they would be the Fortress and the Super Max. One heavy and one light. Always liked extremes. Even have an anchor called the "Extreme". HaHa

I'd say see Steve's Anchor Setting Videos but Max is not there.

Last edited:
Eric

My reason to have the Fortress as a back up is that it can be stored in sections and it is light weight but my experience using the Fortress as a primary has not been good.

Just my SSO!

Big,
Weed, rock, operatir variables or?
Many think anchors are to be hucked over the side and forgot about.
Oh sorry.
However some are said to have the ability to find the bottom, orient themselves toward the mothership and dig down into the seafloor. Oh, and stay put.
So either you're not the great anchor whisperer I thought or you said the wrong thing while sending the anchor on his way.

Eric

LOL

I'm certainly not the great anchor whisper but I do know that in many bottoms where I tried to anchor the Fortress was not the super anchor it is in sand or mud. OTOH I could usually get my Bruce to set even if it took multiple try's and the Boss seems to be the easiest anchor I've ever had to set (only one area where it has a problem but most all my anchors have had a problem there). Perhaps someone may have better luck or a better anchor.

Just my SSO!

If fluke area was the only determine factor the Boss would win hands down but fluke area is only one part of the equation which makes rating anchors a very difficult practice.

Agreed. During the Chesapeake Bay soft mud testing there was a very high expectation that because of its massive surface area, the 45 lb Manson Boss would be a top performer, but during several pull tests just it slid along the bottom without spiking the tension.

Why? I was educated by our consultant, Bob Taylor, who worked with the US Navy and offshore industry for 50 years (he has also worked with Peter Bruce and Vryhof) that it is the effective fluke angle which will determine whether an anchor will immediately engage and penetrate into a sea bottom.

If you look at the Manson Boss, it is flat across the bottom and so at least in soft mud, this design does not aggressively point and orient the fluke into a steep downward position.

Additionally, there are sea bottoms where the Fortress and its two massive flukes is going to be challenged, specifically in grass, weeds, or rocks where those flukes might only get a minimal bite, even though they are very sharp.

I think in those cases, you might be better served by an anchor with a narrow single fluke, and with some serious weight behind it.

If you have used a Fortress as a primary and you anchor in sand, mud or clay, AND you have not been satisfied with it, then I suspect it was undersized for the boat and possibly the bottom & wind conditions.

Of course, there is also the possibility of operator error, and I have certainly heard my share of those stories during the past 20 years from boaters who because of their limited knowledge & skill, they have had some very unrealistic expectations about their anchor's performance.

FA

So I think what you are saying among other things is that the Boss can even be improved by either bending the forward point down or or by adding a small wedge to the trailing bottom of the fluke which would change the angle of pull and force the point down. Is that what you are inferring?

My experience with mud is that most any anchor will hold well as it can dive easily into the soft mud.

The Fortress I had was avtually oversized for my boat and it was usually grass bottoms that gave it fits. I often wondered if the light weight of the Fortress might have been a contributing factor?

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

FA

So I think what you are saying among other things is that the Boss can even be improved by either bending the forward point down or or by adding a small wedge to the trailing bottom of the fluke which would change the angle of pull and force the point down. Is that what you are inferring?

Yes. If you get a chance, take a look at the Spade or Ultra anchor, which both have a very steeply-sloped fluke and an aggressive "angle of attack" when they hit the sea bottom.

My experience with mud is that most any anchor will hold well as it can dive easily into the soft mud.

Yes, the weight of any anchor will help it to sink in soft mud. However, if it is a fixed-fluke anchor and then its lands on its side or upside down, then the question is whether the anchor will be able to correctly orient the fluke into the downward position as it is being slowly pulled through the soft mud.

The Fortress I had was avtually oversized for my boat and it was usually grass bottoms that gave it fits. I often wondered if the light weight of the Fortress might have been a contributing factor?

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Lighter weight can definitely be a problem for a Fortress in grass, where I have heard conflicting reports regarding the anchor's performance.

Some customers have said that they are sharp enough to slice through the grass and reach further bottoms below, while others have said that they don't have the weight needed to push through the vegetation. I think it might all depend on the thickness.

Glad to be of any assistance.

Safe anchoring,
Brian

FA

My second anchor on the bow is an Ultra and while it works well the Boss has it beat in my humble opinion.

Thanks so much for enlightening me on anchors.

FA

My second anchor on the bow is an Ultra and while it works well the Boss has it beat in my humble opinion.

Thanks so much for enlightening me on anchors.

Bigfish,

Glad to hear that the Ultra & Boss are both working well for you and to be helpful.

Safe anchoring,
Brian

P.s. I meant to say in the previous post: "Some customers have said that they are sharp enough to slice through the grass and reach firmer bottoms below."

We have a smaller boat, a Mainship Pilot 34, and anchor out often in the Thousand Islands of the St Lawrence River. We have a Rocna Vulcan 20 (44lb) anchor on our boat and we love it. We don't drag anchor, at least not yet anyway. I got the largest I believe my windlass can handle. You cannot be faulted for going big on the anchor!

Idle Time,
"bigger is better" ... ONLY if your anchor is too small.

Eric

Here is a question for you. Assuming your boat can easily carry the extra weight and your windless can lift the extra weight can an oversized anchor be detrimental?

I can usually walk through any marina and immediately identify the boats that have actually been on an extended cruise at one time, just by what's hanging off the bow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom