View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 05:12 AM   #16
Insequent
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Paul
I will be interested to see what you discover. I'm sure the OA yard built our boats almost identical. Other than yours being one of the handful of flushdeck configurations.

By the way, I believe it was Ed Monk Jnr that was responsible for the Mark I design. Of course he may may well have taken inspiration from his father, or Art DeFever, or others who produced the 'classic' raised pilothouse design as well.

What I don't know is how much Ed was involved in the detail, such as the SB we are talking about. There may well have been others responsible for this area, or a 'standard' Taiwanese approach to things like this. But I do believe there was a commitment to quality and good design. They were built at a time when knowledge was rapidly evolving, and yes, when Fleming came along a few years later they were built a little better. Indeed part of the demise of the Mark I was that they were expensive to build. Hence the Mark II. Cheaper to build, a nice boat for sure but I don't think it has ever had the enduring appeal of the Mark I. Hats off to both Ed Monk and Ocean Alexander for both!