This is great info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Thanks guys. Now I know I am good up to Mobile, Al.

What is the lowest fixed bridge height from Mobile, Al. to Padukah, Ky?

I am thinking that if my sailboat does not sell in the next 30 or days, I may just decide to put all the upgrades I want for about $12K and trawler my way up there with a sailboat. Another sailboat in drag. Go Figya.

Tony B

If you'll be returning via Mobile maybe pull and leave the mast there pick it up on the return leg I believe Dog River Marina can do that.
Steve W.

Thanks Steve

My goal is to NOT remove the mast if I don't have to.
By the way, I am familiar with Dog River Marina. I once took great photos of a sunset looking under the bridge. I stayed there for about 2 weeks while soloing from Slidell, La to Panama City, Fl. during a the winter......very bad idea. Anyway, I stayed there for repairs while visiting old friends in the area.

Wasn't your original plan to do the Loop? You'll need to be under 19'.

Yes, my original plan is to do the loop but that wont happed till about 2 years from now. If I keep my sailboat, I will have my mast stepped when I actually need to. More than likely, I will sell my sailboat and get a trawler after all. Given the current economy, it is much much easier to convert money into a boat than it is to convert a boat back into money. Life is very uncertain in this economy.

When I do the loop, I dont think there are any really low bridges until I get to the Erie Barge Canal...I think. Then again there is a real low one in the Chicago area....I think. It is difficult getting any info on this. I also read that there is a bridge as low as 15'-6" somewhere.

At this point, we are flexible and plan to go somewhere this coming spring. I still have to work offshore on the rigs so traveling the east coast is out of the question because of hurricane season. We still have to come up with a plan to be able to get me to my car, an airport or a bus station to get back offshore. My normal schedule is that I work 2 weeks and I'm off for 2 weeks.

-- Edited by Tony B on Saturday 13th of August 2011 03:40:09 AM

-- Edited by Tony B on Saturday 13th of August 2011 03:43:43 AM

-- Edited by Tony B on Saturday 13th of August 2011 03:45:27 AM

I may just decide to put all the upgrades I want for about $12K and trawler

Such as?

FF wrote:
I may just decide to put all the upgrades I want for about $12K and trawler

Such as?
*Waste treatment unit such as the Electro Scan, additional fuel tanks,* a large 12V/110V frige/freezer in addition to a new compressor and cold plate for my no longer working deep freeze, new dodger, wind generator, solar cells, new propane stove/oven, new cushions, new teak and holly cabin sole, etc.

It dont take much to add up to 12K.

My intentions are to be as self sufficient as possible. I want to stay at marinas from time to time and would like to do this because*I want to rather than I have to.

Actually, most of the improvements I want to add to my sailboat would be the same things that I would have to add to any trawler I bought. Most 2nd hand trawlers that I have looked at have house type appliances which wont work for me. Running a diesel generator at 1/2 gal per hour is not an option. Way too expensive. I want to be able to run everything on DC and use generator for Air Conditioner only.

charles wrote:
Tony,
You need to join activecaptain.com
ALL of your questions are answered there.
CCC
*Thanks Charles

I will do that.

BTW, I drive through Paterson regularly when I go offshore. I fly out of Houma, La.

Maybe we can hook up some time when I pass through.

Tony B

Tony, I live in Thibodaux and keep my boat, Gumbo, In Houma. If you are ever there with a couple of hours to kill let me know,
I'm over there two or three times a week.
Same holds for any other members who might be passing through this area.
Steve W

Steve

I will be there Thurs, usually about 5PM at the La Quinta for a Fri 5AM flight to the platform.

I ran into a bunch in Thibodaux several years back and we think we might be related. They are very popular in Thibodeaux - the Bilello's, maybe you know some of them.

Tony B

Tony, check your profile page for a message I sent you
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Sunday 14th of August 2011 06:22:29 AM

We did the Tombigbee from Mobile to Demopolis in June. There is a railroad bridge with a 52 ft clearance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom