View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 10:21 PM   #6
Aquabelle
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
An interim update. I went ahead and bought the new Nibral props & they are in the shop having their bore tapers changed from 12 to 16. The shop suggested I also send them one of my existing props so they could get the taper even better matched to the shafts. Aquabelle was slipped Friday morning and the stb prop was taken off and sent to the prop shop as the very 1st job. The prop shop will also make bronze spacers to take up any difference in prop hub length between the re-tapered new and the old props, per posts #4 & 5 above. I left the port prop on to allow us to explore the shaft/stuffing box issues per post #5 with the prop weight bearing....and it soon became obvious that both the stern and the intermediate cutlass bearings are worn & need replacing....lots of slop in both. I am hoping this is the principal cause of the stuffing box problems (apart from the bad packing job done at last haul-out). Port prop was also then removed and we'll pull the shaft on Monday & inspect for corrosion at stuffing/bearing points; and straightness.

Attached is a pic of vessel up on slip; and another showing the PropSpeed on the props ( also on the shafts, though not in the photo) still un-fouled after 2 1/2 years & untouched by divers. Although the Australian members of TF are all PropSpeed converts, I know some of our US friends are sceptical...but take a look at the rudders (not a great photo I know...sorry, was a bit distracted). I normally get PropSpeed applied not just to props & shafts but to the rudders, skegs and bow thruster metals too. Last time I was hauled, at a different yard to my usual, I let them talk me into saving a few $$ by not applying PropSpeed to rudders & skegs. Instead they took back to bare, epoxied and applied a hard anti-foul (the hull always gets abalative). 4 months before the current haul-out, I had to get a diver to clean the un-PropSpeed'd running gear....and now, just 4 months later, all is severely foul'd with barnacles! The photo doesn't do the degree of foul'ing justice, but it is so extreme the yard is going to charge me a little more for the extra time in dealing with it.

I'll try to take better photos on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	On Slip port side.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	66968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Props & Rudders.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	66970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudder fouling.jpg
Views:	82