Lake Worth inlet at night.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Sitting here at Lake Worth. Was planning to cross early tomorrow but Chris Parker said tonight would be better. He said chances of lots of squalls tomorrow morning.

I've never done this inlet (or any inlet for that matter) at night so I am worried about that. The inlet looks nice and wide, I have AIS and radar and stabilizing sails that seem to work well.

Anyone done this inlet at night?

Last edited:
Local advice is often "worth" listening to, but it always feels eerie boating inlets and channels at night when you haven't ever seen it in daylight.

Lake Worth is wide, deep and safe. I have used it many times.

You should have absolutely no issues using the inlet.

Where are you headed?

I've gone out that inlet several times at night. If you have good charting, good radar, there is nothing to it. Wide and deep and well marked.

Cargo ships and megayachts use it all the time. It's well marked with a wide channel. I've used it at night many times with no problems. Ben

Actually the only issue you may have is the number of boats waiting inside for someone that looks like they know what they are doing and want to follow! All they are looking for is a "bigger" boat.

So don't be surprised if you set off and then look behind you to find a dozen or so following you!

The inlet itself isn't complicated, but inside the inlet, if you're coming from the north, the area just north of Peanut Island is very shallow.

I'm in 1000 feet of water headed for Memory Rock.

Where we talking about?

I'd guess here.....

Memory-Rock-Bahamas.8.gif

Departing from Lake Worth will give you time to wave by by to most navigation aides.

There are probably more nav aids to see as you depart than you will find in most of the Bahamas.

As has been said, there should be no issues with Lake Worth.

As for Memory Rock, I'm assuming you are departing at night so that you arrive on the bank mid morning?

Good luck, have fun.

He is probably stopping at Great Sale given the timing.

[We may not hear from him again until he gets his BTC Card installed!]

Good luck, have fun.

He is probably stopping at Great Sale given the timing.

[We may not hear from him again until he gets his BTC Card installed!]

True. That's a long run if he's starting at 0230 though.

On a side note, Verizon has added the Bahamas as part of their international plan. $10 a day gets you everything you have stateside. It's a lot easier than messing with BTC.

Thanks, Benthic

True. That's a long run if he's starting at 0230 though.

On a side note, Verizon has added the Bahamas as part of their international plan. $10 a day gets you everything you have stateside. It's a lot easier than messing with BTC.

He was already in 1000 feet at midnight, so approaching the stream. Should be just past Memory Rock right now.

It looks like he is going to see a little bit of a northerly breeze today through mid day according to Windy. what are your thoughts on that? Not enough to worry about? For those of you that I've done this trip in the past what's the course around the north end of the bank and then down into the Bahamas?

Last edited:
When you say North end of the bank, do you mean say from Fort Pierce to Walkers/Grand, or do you mean the route he is taking - Memory Rock, Great Sale, past Spanish, Green Turtle and into the Sea of Abaco?

When you say North end of the bank, do you mean say from Fort Pierce to Walkers/Grand, or do you mean the route he is taking - Memory Rock, Great Sale, past Spanish, Green Turtle and into the Sea of Abaco?

The route he is taking. Not familiar with the area so I guess I Don't know what I mean. :) Looks shallow east of the rock. So I wondered if you went North (as in around the shoals and then south) or you can continue on a coarse heading east past the rock and into the shallows

The route I take is either to clear at West end, or to cross the bank and ride the bank over to the Abacos and clear somewhere there. On a slow boat I would not stay offshore N of the bank.

There are lots of places to cross the bank N of West End, Memory is just one.

Wifey B: Although too late for him and Lake Worth an easy inlet, when it's not somewhere you're comfy and need to travel at night and arrive in morning, one thing we do is leave just a little before dark, then take it slow and arrive morning in the daylight. Adjust speed to make that happen, even go at idle speed for a while or just sit offshore waiting. We've traveled many places we just weren't wanting to go in or out while dark. Plus in some even if you had arrived, no one at the marina and no one in customs so just wait. :)

Made it

Sorry for the delay in replying. Just got my btc sim chip working.

The crossing was fun! Nice and cool.oarly wind on the bow for the first 4-5 hours. Then it switched around and we motorsailed the rest of the way. Entered the bank at memory rock and continued to mangrove cay to anchor for the night.

Going to anchor near fox town tonight.

Have not checked in yet. Was planing to do that tomorrow at GTC. Think I would get caught taking the dinghy into fox town and getting some ice and eat at a restaurant?

Sorry for the delay in replying. Just got my btc sim chip working.

The crossing was fun! Nice and cool.oarly wind on the bow for the first 4-5 hours. Then it switched around and we motorsailed the rest of the way. Entered the bank at memory rock and continued to mangrove cay to anchor for the night.

Going to anchor near fox town tonight.

Have not checked in yet. Was planing to do that tomorrow at GTC. Think I would get caught taking the dinghy into fox town and getting some ice and eat at a restaurant?

You very well could and the consequences are serious if you do. You may get caught anchored even although less likely, but you're not legal anchored. Why haven't you checked in?

Yea, I would not go ashore until you check in. Risk too high, reward too low. Flunks the risk/reward matrix.

The Bahamas are pretty tolerant and welcoming of cruisers. Why push it? Just check in.

You are still flying the quarantine flag so no getting off the boat.

You should be absolutely fine anchoring with the yellow flag as you have not gone ashore. Many boats anchor at Great Sale before checking is at, say, Spanish, and that is fine.

I wouldn't push it past two nights though. AND no wetting a line - that they do take very seriously!

Back
Top Bottom