Underwater lighting experiences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems to me that the under water lights are simply a form of boat bling. I agree that watching the fish etc. is interesting but for how long? YMMV.

I'm a simple man. I still enjoy just sitting and watching the sunrise and sunset every day when we are cruising. If I had fish to watch, my wife would probably think I had had a seizure. :D

well...please check back in....if no one else explained it...please feel free. It looked like a good install to me, so I obviously need to learn this.

1. I'd NEVER use silicone as an underwater sealant. I'd use one of several products intended for below-waterline use.

2. I'd pay special attention to sealing the drilled holes into the wood transom. The installer drilled a large hole for the wire, fed the wire through the bare hole, then squirted some silicone into the hole from the inside of the transom hoping it would fully cover and seal the hole. I wouldn't want to bet the life of my transom that I got that right on the first attempt. Wrong product and wrong technique.

3. Given the choice, I'd opt for a mounting board attached to the transom with 5200 that would accommodate the mounting screws to preserve the integrity of the transom.

4. He's already got one wire hanging over the top of the transom and the light kit includes a mounting plate to allow redirecting the wire. Why not route the cable to above the waterline and drill a hole through the transom above the WL? A properly sealed hole above the WL with a clamshell cover would look professional and help preserve the integrity of the transom.

1. I'd NEVER use silicone as an underwater sealant. I'd use one of several products intended for below-waterline use.

2. I'd pay special attention to sealing the drilled holes into the wood transom. The installer drilled a large hole for the wire, fed the wire through the bare hole, then squirted some silicone into the hole from the inside of the transom hoping it would fully cover and seal the hole. I wouldn't want to bet the life of my transom that I got that right on the first attempt. Wrong product and wrong technique.

3. Given the choice, I'd opt for a mounting board attached to the transom with 5200 that would accommodate the mounting screws to preserve the integrity of the transom.

4. He's already got one wire hanging over the top of the transom and the light kit includes a mounting plate to allow redirecting the wire. Why not route the cable to above the waterline and drill a hole through the transom above the WL? A properly sealed hole above the WL with a clamshell cover would look professional and help preserve the integrity of the transom.

And, there you have it! My thoughts exactly!!

Thanks. The list of materials at the beginning said "silicone/marine sealant"

I also noticed that he already had a wire running down the transom, so why not just add this one to that.

UW lights might be interesting and attractive in a boat that spends its time in clear water but I can't see it for Puget Sound. We have very murky water. There is just so much organic matter in the water that we have very poor visibility. Lights under the water would likely end up looking like a green glow regardless of the color.

Seems to me that the under water lights are simply a form of boat bling. I agree that watching the fish etc. is interesting but for how long? YMMV.

Until your grandchildren grow up.....

I believe the light had a tapered rubber fitting on it so when screwed in, it plugged the hole where the wire went through.

So just a smear of someting should have made it watertight.

Not probably the best for big boats, but for 6 inches underwater on a trailerable boat???

We have a pair of nicely installed underwater lights on our tug. They are multi colored and we love them. At least I do...
Left them on tonight when we went out to meet friends and came back to this...
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_1836.jpg
    IMG_1836.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1839.jpg
    IMG_1839.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1840.jpg
    IMG_1840.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 47
There is an advantage to through hull lights where the light remains inside the boat. Eventually the lights fail. With a light mounted inside the boat you can replace the lamp without having to haul the boat. This was a huge deal in the days of filament lamps, but not quite as big a concern with LED. But potted LED's still go bad.

I'm replacing several unneeded transducers and through hulls with underwater lights. Faster to cut a bigger hole and install a Lloyds of London approved light than patch the hole. I have zero concerns that a glass lens intended for use on high speed battle wagons and yachts is going to ever receive enough of an impact at 8 mph to break.

...One item I see as detractor, at least where we anchor, is that after dark there becomes a barrage of flying insects... at close of dusk we encapsulate ourselves inside boat for watching a movie, or reading and early bed time so we get up at or before sunrise. Therefore the dark hours where I believe uw lights would be most fun would not be when we'd be outside to enjoy them.
Maybe underwater lights would attract the insects,to a watery grave,to feed and attract the sea creatures. Leaving you bug free. Just a thought.

There is an advantage to through hull lights where the light remains inside the boat. Eventually the lights fail. With a light mounted inside the boat you can replace the lamp without having to haul the boat. This was a huge deal in the days of filament lamps, but not quite as big a concern with LED. But potted LED's still go bad.

I'm replacing several unneeded transducers and through hulls with underwater lights. Faster to cut a bigger hole and install a Lloyds of London approved light than patch the hole. I have zero concerns that a glass lens intended for use on high speed battle wagons and yachts is going to ever receive enough of an impact at 8 mph to break.

And... If It Does?? - OOH, OH!!! :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom